Sign in to follow this  
Couesdeer

Son's First!

Last year, Bubba was skunked for both deer and Javlina.  Because his sister has take a few animals, he really wanted to enjoy some success this year.  

We started glassing at 6:20 AM and almost immediately, he spotted a group of 4 bucks.  We watched them work their way closer to us for almost an hour.  It looked like 528 yards was as close as they were going to get.  I had the boy get prone, We dialed the scope on his heavy barreled .243 up to 525.  First shot was a miss (high).  Second was a hit, but the deer was still up.  It took two more shots and the deer went down for good.  We had to cross a steep and thick wash to get to the animal.  I was really wishing I had another person to keep an eye on the spot that the deer went down and guide us to it.  When we got to where I though we should be, nothing.  We spent 90 minutes searching for the deer.  It was Bubba that found the first sign of blood.  Once we were on the blood trail, we found the buck 15 yards up the hill.  The original spot where i thought we should be looking was over 150 yards away.  We managed to get the boned out meat and head back to the truck by 1:00.  

I am so proud of my son, for keeping calm while shooting at a live animal.  He has practiced on milk jugs out that far, but never an animal.  I am also proud of how he did not show any frustration when searching all over for a downed deer that seemed to disappear (at least not as much frustration as I was showing!)  And finally, I realize that I need to get my plump fanny into better shape If I want to continue to hunt with him as he gets older.... I am exhausted!     

RqFJItv.jpg

• Like 20
  • Great Buck! 1

And another one!!!   EXCELLENT!!!

Just LOVE all of the youth success posts we are seeing around here these days!  Nothing better!

S.

Congratulations and how awesome!  Those deer are tougher than most people realize!  Excellent job young man and dad!