Jazz

Scouting Dugas

With the 21 Mule hunt coming next week I thought I’d drive around Dugas and do some scouting. 

Never done it before, and I found that 68 goes between Dugas and bloody basin. It was a beautiful ride, but there were a few spots I’d wish I had taken the Polaris and not the Yukon.. and the 4wd was out. 

It’s one of those “Lord please just let me get over this wall of rocks because I really don’t wanna go back down in reverse and I promise I’ll turn around when i can”. But I didn’t.. kinda glad I took the trip. Compared to straight desert I thought the contrast was just fantastic.

Regardless of the hunt results, I think I’m going to be spending a lot of time up there. Just gorgeous.

Kinda weird tho- might be the pressure from the current hunt but they’re not going near the tanks I went to.

B63A65C6-919A-4227-8DC0-355EE654A389.jpeg

1B949EBA-D247-4AAB-8780-9CBC61D017B3.jpeg

9A7ACCCB-BC65-4EDF-9DDF-6FB3CA5DA66F.jpeg

75D0774E-87DA-419B-9510-428BCD6DBD4B.jpeg

0106707E-63DD-4501-AFB9-ECEF517DE720.png

1225FDAD-AA8B-4CA9-B924-156D729DCB86.png

• Like 1

Some of the funnest hunts I have had was in those tall grass's and spotted oaks. Lots of deer in there and tons of hunters

Hunted that area a lot last December for the rifle hunt.  You will have a ton of company next week in there.  

I believe it’s the 677rd that goes through. 68d rd goes between Dugas and cherry. You will be in the same general area as every other Tom, Dick and Harry on the muley hunt. Alot of spikes and 2 pointers will be in trouble. Good luck bud.

Go hunt by Bartlett lake there's some toads in there.  Maybe Indian Springs. I know the road is closed but you may be able to hike in. Just a thought 

• Like 1

Spent the day around New River Mesa yesterday.

Only met a crew of folks once- and they were pretty disappointed in what they were finding. Also, these tanks popped up at every “water hole” -(pretty dry for Oct).. seems like they’re going to implement them for troughs in some way.

And.. other than some burn marks in the ground, you couldn’t tell there was a fire.

D3935656-1D8A-4086-A54C-35BE443A0220.jpeg

19819F7C-5578-4EB4-9307-F240A1412BCF.jpeg

B5787888-B275-4F06-B155-9C783BD33370.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, Beaton said:

Go hunt by Bartlett lake there's some toads in there.  Maybe Indian Springs. I know the road is closed but you may be able to hike in. Just a thought 

There are some monsters in that area for sure 

On 10/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, ruthunter said:

I believe it’s the 677rd that goes through. 68d rd goes between Dugas and cherry. You will be in the same general area as every other Tom, Dick and Harry on the muley hunt. Alot of spikes and 2 pointers will be in trouble. Good luck bud.

Google says it’s both roads? I call it uneccessary bouldering.

I've killed plenty of Mule deer bucks in 21 as well as my family. I grew up hunting 21 but there are a lot of whitetail now and it usex to be primarily mule deer. Also we used to kill a lot of bucks in an area called mustang Mesa. Take seven springs till it ends. Make a right like your  going to sheeps crossing then your 1st left head north Into those hills you need 4x4. Dont know if it holds good mule deer still but it used to be really good 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 6:19 AM, bigj23 said:

Hunted that area a lot last December for the rifle hunt.  You will have a ton of company next week in there.  

Got it covered.

6C7E6106-309F-4884-AAEE-F2870BE3B90E.png

• Haha 1

So I’m definitely finding mule deer. No coues yet.

and lost an AirPod case and a rangefinder. Good thing I’m decent at distance guessing, but only seen 18 doe so far. 

starting to think there’s a shortage of bucks in 21..