ruger1022

Unit 33 Late Rifle?

17 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Maybe even go pay Duwane Adam's $300 for a glassing class.

He doesn't seem overly interested in doing the glassing classes. I thought it would be a good experience for my kids and have called and left a few voicemails and sent a couple of emails over the past year about a glassing class. Have yet to get a response to any of them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've got good glass, and I'm used to picking apart landscapes looking for deer. I understand Coues are way harder to spot, but I'm hoping in 10 days I can start to figure it out. 

What elevations are Coues deer living at in Unit 33? Do deer move down in elevation as the rut kicks off? Or will they still be up high? I'm seeing some mixed results when looking online. 

This sounds like a smarta$$ answer, but it’s not. They live from the foothills to the top of the mountains. And they will be rutting at all elevations,they don’t really move up or down in any numbers that I’ve noticed a difference. They might drop lower on the hills or ridges to find more doe though

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

This sounds like a smarta$$ answer, but it’s not. They live from the foothills to the top of the mountains. And they will be rutting at all elevations,they don’t really move up or down in any numbers that I’ve noticed a difference. They might drop lower on the hills or ridges to find more doe though

What he said. I don't see them as much in the flats, but as soon as you get into any type of rolling hills, they are there. You will also find them at the highest spots in the unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruger1022 said:

I've got good glass, and I'm used to picking apart landscapes looking for deer. I understand Coues are way harder to spot, but I'm hoping in 10 days I can start to figure it out. 

What elevations are Coues deer living at in Unit 33? Do deer move down in elevation as the rut kicks off? Or will they still be up high? I'm seeing some mixed results when looking online. 

The biggest bucks hang out in the houses on the south slopes of catalinas... 

• Like 1

Id pick it up and spend 10 days down there. Where do you live? They should be stepping up their activity with the rut soon. 

1 minute ago, AZHunter1 said:

Id pick it up and spend 10 days down there. Where do you live? They should be stepping up their activity with the rut soon. 

Utah, my plan was to know I drew it, and scout in November when visiting my wife's family in Tuscon. I'm a little late now. 

1 hour ago, ruger1022 said:

Utah, my plan was to know I drew it, and scout in November when visiting my wife's family in Tuscon. I'm a little late now. 

Definitely get the tag and go.

Close your eyes and point on the map.  You will find coues there and lions!!  Do the hunt