Sign in to follow this  
Nitemann

Which 10mm Bullet/Ammo for Javi

For you guys using a 10mm pistol to hunt javelina what bullet/load or factory ammo are you using? Picked up a Kimber LS on here a while back and thinking of using it for pigs this year. Also what do you consider max distance with this set up.

• Like 1

Lehigh makes some pretty good ammo.  I carried the 140 gr. penetrator while in Alaska for Defense.  If I were going to use it for a javelina, I think I would give their 115gr extreme defense load a serious look.  Suppose to cause large wound channels and penetrate up to 18".  I know their 140gr grouped really well.  Honestly, I think just about any HP would do just fine on the little guys.  Max distance is strictly based on your shooting ability.  I think the round is effective further than 99% of people can accurately shoot.  Getting close is the fun part on javelina, so get close and thump him in the head.

• Like 1

Hornady XTP. 

Range will be whatever you can comfortably hit repeatedly at.

well, what did you choose?

i'm packing my muzzle loader tomorrow, but am taking a 10mm for back up, a xdm.  I'm just using cheap mag tech ammo, because i don't think it really matters on small game.  I have some nice stuff from ammo inc, it's kind of pricey, maybe i'll take that.  Hopefully i can get it done with the muzzy.  

Bojangles my wife was diagnosed with cancer right after posting this so reloading was put on the back burner. Hopefully next year i'll get a chance to work something up. Good luck on your hunt, I've killed one with a muzzle loader and it was fun.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 6:34 PM, Nitemann said:

Bojangles my wife was diagnosed with cancer right after posting this so reloading was put on the back burner. Hopefully next year i'll get a chance to work something up. Good luck on your hunt, I've killed one with a muzzle loader and it was fun.

Sorry to hear about that.  Will keep her in my prayers.  You can’t take that stuff too seriously.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 6:34 PM, Nitemann said:

Just saw this, hope she's doing ok. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she does well.  What I've found hunting Javelina with pistols is its more challenging then I ever thought. Its the hardest and easiest hunting I've ever done, lol. I've hit them with heavier slower rounds, in 10mm, and they just poked holes and the pigs kept going. My experience with them, hunting in 10mm and 357 mag, is faster lighter, hollow points that basically explode in a sense, on impact, seem to drop them quicker. They aren't thick skinned and not big so quick energy dump seems to be needed. Just my $.02