trphyhntr

Crappie

In the late 80s I would go to there in a Folbot and my dad would paddle and I would troll.  I remember using green or yellow jigs and you could see the bluegill come out of the canyon shadows and strike at the jig.  It seems like the lure was always too big for those small fish.  It really was a nice place, maybe not for fish, but a nice place until the 2000s.  I wish they would improve it.

9 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I wish they would improve i

after they do something at schoens dam-its full and releasing water right now.......

I spent most of last week at Alamo - kids spring break. Didn’t see or hear of any crappie, we were bass fishing. Caught quite a few between storms. Baby brushogs, burning spinnerbaits, crankbaits all caught fish. Most came in about 10’ of water, nothing huge big fish was a little over 3#, lots of brush and green slime in the water. We left on Thursday and the water has come up over 10’ since then so who knows what it’s doing now.

• Like 2

My wife and kids have been at Roosevelt for a few days now. 2 days on the water. The crappie they are catching are 2+ pounders. Couple smaller ones here and there. Total of 12 for two mornings worth

• Like 7

On 1/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, trphyhntr said:

is anyone catching them at alamo yet? im sure that cold front next week will screw it up if anyone is but i was just wondering if it was happening, PM me if were keeping it on the low 

Read some reports of good catches of crappie from Alamo and Bartlett last weekend. 

might have to make a trip this weekend 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTAGS said:

where can you find a fishing report these days?

az crappie fishing on facebook is where ive been seeing the crappie reports. 

aah, I dont do the  Facebook.  AZGF fishing report  is a joke.  Every report I hear boils down to " you should have been here last weekend!  It was on Fire!" anyway.

Azcrappie.com has reports as well as FB.

I have caught 150+ crappie in the last 3 weeks on the Tonto end of Roosevelt but none that exceeded 2+ lbs on my scale. Well over half of those were the recently stocked black-nose and were released for next year. 

If any cwt member wants details send me a note and I'll tell you everything I know. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

Azcrappie.com has reports as well as FB.

I have caught 150+ crappie in the last 3 weeks on the Tonto end of Roosevelt but none that exceeded 2+ lbs on my scale. Well over half of those were the recently stocked black-nose and were released for next year. 

If any cwt member wants details send me a note and I'll tell you everything I know. 

wow you killed it. youre a good fisherman

Not sure about all that, just something I've been doing as long as I can remember thanks to my Dad, and I really love eating them.

Pops and I in the 90's after a Sunday morning troll.

20200227_203541.thumb.jpg.8f4bd778b23669fb496993b0fcb6d145.jpg

Landing triples in the early 2000's.

Screenshot_20200422-202723_Gallery.thumb.jpg.314ec789c0f54f76e52fefdd27b523ee.jpg

Getting my 19 month old daughter out the last few weeks.

386087231_Screenshot_20200414-165307_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.9d6863197c3d4b04a3406211ca76bc95.jpg

And dinner tonight.

20200422_190754.thumb.jpg.17555585bc46f43e9cb8840a81875696.jpg

Sorry to throw this all out there but crappie and coues are the best 2 living creatures in this state and I have trouble missing an opportunity to BS about them.

• Like 6