bowhunter-tw

22 LR build suggestions

I have been looking to get a good 22 bolt action rifle that I can throw in the truck or teach new shooters to work a bolt. I found three different actions for sale that might be fun to attempt to restore. The three models are the springfield 86c, glenfield model 25, or the remington 512. The first two are missing stocks the third the bolt. Which would you pick up and attempt to restore and why?

Depends on how you want to spend your money. If you go whole hog I would go with something off an Anschutz action, but not too many use one of those as a truck gun. For the money you would spend putting one of those back into shooting shape, I would look at a CZ, or a Tikka T1X. Couple steps above a plinker.

• Like 2

I'm with Jim, I don't think I would spend the time or money restoring anything to be a truck gun. So many options available now to just buy one and throw under the back seat. I would look at any of the Marlin or Savage bolt guns or even one of the Ruger Americans all of which shoot really well for Sub $300 rifles. Or if you wanted a step up the CZ or the Tikka are really nice for the money. Personally, the CZ is too pretty to throw under the seat it needs a nice soft case and a place in the safe to know its loved. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

Depends on how you want to spend your money. If you go whole hog I would go with something off an Anschutz action, but not too many use one of those as a truck gun. For the money you would spend putting one of those back into shooting shape, I would look at a CZ, or a Tikka T1X. Couple steps above a plinker.

Last two years I have been competing in small bore silhouette, NRL22 matches, 22 benchrest and assundry other 22 matches. I love my KIDD 10/22's but its a semi. I have two CZ 455's and one shoots a bit better than the other. When its all said and done the Tikka T1X is your best bet, consistently seen them to be very accurate and reasonably priced.

If you find a CZ 452 dont take the time to ask about it just buy it. They are discontinued but you can still find them, and they shoot very well. I just found a 452 scout NIB for 299 a couple of months ago in Prescott.  

• Like 1

If you want a cheap rifle that will be a great "truck gun" try savage. I just bought my son a semi auto model 64 for $150 brand new. It isn't pretty and I went savage because they are one of the few offering left hand 22lr right now. 

If he was right hand and I wanted something nicer CZ would have been my choice. Probably one of the switch barrel models. 

If you find and old Winchester 69a grab it. I have one my grandfather gave me years ago, and that rifle drives tacks. 

Well to actually answer your question and not keep giving you opinions you didn't ask for, I personally would rebuild the 512.  Broken stock guns are plentiful so finding a bolt shouldn't be too problematic and my limited experience with a 514 and 541 have been very positive.  Sounds like a fun project. Good luck