Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Talk me out of this

4 hours ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

I like the price on the V4 line for sure. I've heard good things about their glass though. Definitely one to take a deeper look at. Thanks!

My blind butt loves the V8 35X 60mm objective, 36" tube

17 hours ago, wildwoody said:

My blind butt loves the V8 35X 60mm objective, 36" tube

I like where you're going with that!  Set on top of a .338 and mounted in the bed of my Tacoma...  I'll definitely spend less money with Kifaru hunting that way!!

20 hours ago, rcdinaz said:

I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor (I know...) crazy light rifle with a Leupold VX5 HD- CDS.  Shot it out to 500yds last week with factory ammo and it shot great for a 5lb rifle.  You can get them already threaded for your can as well. Just throwing out another option to take a look at if you really want a true backpacking rifle. 

I appreciate the recommendation and glad that you're off to a good start with yours. Barrett has a cool site! It always feels good to transition from knowing what the interwebs say your new rifle should do ... to physically producing the results! I didn't see them offering a model in .300WM though and I am fixed-in on a folding chassis. Some may find it a little odd, but I prefer the full-length barrel and the folder to knock down the size over the weight savings of a shorter/lighter rig. Weight savings is sorta secondary (within reason) for this rifle build and it's intended use. As mentioned, an MPR will be lighter than what I've been carrying the past couple seasons and have no qualms about the weight - 14.1lb's soup to nuts with bi-pod, loaded mag, sling, etc....  

There will be a time where it's no longer an option and I will physically have to make some concessions with the equipment I choose to carry on my back or in a situation where I am putting in extended miles on a hunt. My typical backpack hunt has me hiking in anywhere from 6-12mi and then hunting within a 2mi range of that area. Occasionally we'll move camp a short distance, but that's not common. I'm sure you'll see me posting again in the future and it'll be asking for opinions on the latest 'featherweight' rifle instead...

For my own use on a pack rifle that would be used to shoot long distance I like the new Zeiss scopes. They track very well, has a rock solid zero stop,light weight and have great glass in them. I have the ZBR 2 retical. I bought a demo and it was brand new there wasn't even a ultra fine mark on it. 

While your on red hawks web site they have the new Proof Elevation light weight hunter in 300 win. 6 lbs, 8 oz. The CA rifles use a work over M 700 action the PR uses a Bighorn Origin action. 

https://redhawkrifles.com/demo-zeiss-conquest-v6-3-18x50-rifle-scope/

https://redhawkrifles.com/proof-research-elevation-lightweight-hunter-rifle/

• Like 2

If you're going with a folder why not one of the new lightweight folding chassis?

If you aren't stuck on folder it seems the CA Ridgelines are to be found for some pretty good deals right now-- they've been known to have their problems but that rifle- ditch the stock, put on a Proof Lightweight (saves 10-12oz), add a set of Hawkins Hybrids and a VX6HD 3-18x44 and you are running in the 7 3/4lb range for your whole rig...  even a Mark 5 3.5-18 still has you under 8lbs

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, AZDirtyTaco said:

The MPR at 8.4b is a full 2lb lighter than what I've been carrying for the past couple seasons, which is a Savage 10 Ashbury Precision in 6.5CM with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.  I'm not really counting ounces as much as maintaining a bit shorter profile while packing in. The MPR is listing for $1,800 - 2k with a few stores online.  The folder has been a feature I really like and am looking for with this next rifle for sure.  Nice recommendation in the Kimber's! I gave them a hard look before locking in on a folder.

What other considerations do you suggest on the glass? I've been running the Viper line on everything I own for years and have been really happy there, especially the Gen II stuff. I was looking to step up my game a bit and landed on the NSX after also considering the Mark 5 from Leupold. I have no experience with FFP or would likely be opting to go with a Razor.

What are you looking to do with the rifle?    To me a backpack rifle is shorter, lighter and will have an effective range of about 600 yards.  Caliber is more than I would choose too for a backpack gun.   Pretty much any caliber works unless you are really looking to shoot big bears.     

Here is my two pennies.   I would go with a much, much shorter barrel.    Think 20-22".   You will loose a little velocity but not enough to matter at 600 yards.    Having a shorter barrel will make a ton of difference in how it handles out in the field.   I run a Swaro on my "backpack" gun and with a custom turret it gets me out to 650 yards with a .308.    In a 300 you will easily get out to 750-800 yards with a custom turret.    I also run a 3X18 power which is way more power than is needed for a backpack gun.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, recurveman said:

What are you looking to do with the rifle?    To me a backpack rifle is shorter, lighter and will have an effective range of about 600 yards.  Caliber is more than I would choose too for a backpack gun.   Pretty much any caliber works unless you are really looking to shoot big bears.     

Here is my two pennies.   I would go with a much, much shorter barrel.    Think 20-22".   You will loose a little velocity but not enough to matter at 600 yards.    Having a shorter barrel will make a ton of difference in how it handles out in the field.   I run a Swaro on my "backpack" gun and with a custom turret it gets me out to 650 yards with a .308.    In a 300 you will easily get out to 750-800 yards with a custom turret.    I also run a 3X18 power which is way more power than is needed for a backpack gun.    

All great info and things to consider - so thank you 1st and foremost! 

I really have enjoyed carrying my Savage as mentioned and this is a lighter version of the same platform. I would not be any means steer away from a shorter barrel and would consider a similar design rifle that has a shorter barrel offered. I'm not seeing anything out there, however. Or at least in the 2k price tag range.  

For me: the folders pack very nicely, are within a more than comfortable weight class to haul everywhere I want to go, and fit the bill for my current needs. So far I'm seeing a ton of great feedback for lightweight rifles and a lot of encouragement to reconsider what my definition of a "backpack" rifle is. None of which is wrong or bad advice - quite opposite really. I really like the functionality of the MPR type chassis and have had great success with them. I will someday have the need for one of the many great suggestions offered for the lightweight rigs, just not yet.

Hey Gents!  I 100% appreciate all of the conversation and ideas being thrown out there. Thank you!

It's important to iterate that I've spent a ton of time backpacking over the past 20 some odd years and continue to do the majority of hunting in the wilderness areas around the state. I am fully aware of the weight penalties associated with the CA - it's not a big deal for me. If anyone has another option to consider that is comparable to the MPR and within the same general price range, I would love to check it out! We kinda got down the weight/backpacking definition rabbit hole.

I have steered away from the Nightforce NSX thanks to you guys and I am super grateful for all of the information! And thank you Dave for chatting it up with me by phone to share your personal experience!

I like Leupold mk5hd 3.6-18, Zeiss v6 or v8.  The MPR is a slick rifle and if it were me, I would go with a lighter caliber like .308 in a 20" with a can on it.  I, also am thinking about doing a similar setup and am seriously considering going with the XLR magnessium chassis.  I am torn on whether to just get an MPR or use one of the tikka actions I have, add a carbon fiber barrel and XLR chassis.  Costs are very similar but I personally like the tikka action better than the 700 clones.  If you are thinking a long action magnum caliber for sure, I would eliminate the Tikka just based on magazine limitations.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I like Leupold mk5hd 3.6-18, Zeiss v6 or v8.  The MPR is a slick rifle and if it were me, I would go with a lighter caliber like .308 in a 20" with a can on it.  I, also am thinking about doing a similar setup and am seriously considering going with the XLR magnessium chassis.  I am torn on whether to just get an MPR or use one of the tikka actions I have, add a carbon fiber barrel and XLR chassis.  Costs are very similar but I personally like the tikka action better than the 700 clones.  If you are thinking a long action magnum caliber for sure, I would eliminate the Tikka just based on magazine limitations.  

Thanks! I'm replacing/upgrading the .300WM I used to run which is the primary reason I'm looking for this model in that caliber. The MPR's come in at 6.9lb for the 6.5CM and .308 which is pretty dang light in my book. I would absolutely look at those calibers if I wasn't in strictly in the market for the .300WM instead. I like the price on that XLR and saw a few articles with good things to say. I'll have to look a bit more into it.

.300WM MPR is 8.4lbs bare rifle.  Add rings, scope, level, and you are going to be over 10lbs easily, maybe closer to 10.5lbs.  Not your typical "pack rifle" weight range.  Not a beast by any means compared to others.

Your thread is "talk me out of it".  Been tons of suggestions and reasons why you might consider other options.  Maybe you should have left the "talk me out of it" part out of the title, and called it "I am getting this rifle".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems there is no "talking you out of this".

• Like 1

JUST BUY IT!!!!!!!!  We all need more rifles anyways.    

Just an FYI - for under $3K you could build a custom rifle to your exact specifications.    

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, recurveman said:

JUST BUY IT!!!!!!!!  We all need more rifles anyways.    

Just an FYI - for under $3K you could build a custom rifle to your exact specifications.    

Maybe not "to your exact specifications"......but you can build a custom.

agreed.   you can build an awesome custom rifle minus optics for under $3K.......Or you could spend 10K and build an even more custom rifle!!!!!!   I put $2,700.00 into mine but it isn't super crazy with options.   I just want tiny holes.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1