Pretorian

Arizona Unit 24A Elk

Hey all,

I stumbled upon this forum trying to do some online research on unit 24A which I was blessed to draw a rifle tag for this year. It's in the 2nd week of October and is a limited opportunity hunt so hopefully there shouldn't be a lot of other hunters in there. I know... not a popular Elk unit but I love hiking and hunting and am up for the challenge. This year I'll be taking my 11 year old son with me and I absolutely can't wait to get him up there glassing and hiking. Plan on doing plenty of scouting between now and then. Does anyone have any experience in the unit? From what I can tell online, there's Elk in there but it's a tough and rugged hunt. AZG&F's web page has some info but it's pretty general. Not looking for any honey holes or family secrets. I saw a post on here from 2015 with some members chatting about some big bulls in the unit, I'm hoping someone has some updated sightings or suggestions. :) Thanks everyone!

6 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Better off doing the otc hunt imo

i see elk in the road all the time by timber camp. im skeptical that the OTC hunt could be better 

• Like 1

Don’t waste money scouting. The are is small, just show up and hunt. If your lucky to get a bull crossing the Rez, shoot it! Same as cow. Could be record breaking or could be meat. Either way I’d suggest shooting the first legal elk you see. May not see another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i see elk in the road all the time by timber camp. im skeptical that the OTC hunt could be better 

Says the poverty hunter 

• Like 1

I dont know the unit whatsoever but all the elk I've killed were on otc hunts and they weren't something I would bring an 11 year old on. If you dont mind eating the tag and just spending time with your kid that's one thing, but if you wanna kill it might be tough on the kid just my opinion. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I dont know the unit whatsoever but all the elk I've killed were on otc hunts and they weren't something I would bring an 11 year old on. If you dont mind eating the tag and just spending time with your kid that's one thing, but if you wanna kill it might be tough on the kid just my opinion. 

Both are limited opp hunts. Any elk I assume.Could be the best thing for a kid. It’s a rifle tag all you gotta do is find em.

Sounds like a good time for you and your son.  Once and a while you get lucky on a limited opp hunt.  I tagged an antelope and a 6x7 bull 1344152028_band2003030-Copy.jpg.aa0a06b95363abba08ae96eec0986eb9.jpgon a muzzleloader hunt once.  Get out there and look for em!

1 hour ago, high rise hunter said:

There's an elk hunt in 24A?!?

Yes, it's a limited opportunity hunt and is "any elk". Only 5 tags given for the week I drew for. Should be interesting. Thanks for all of the input everyone! If anyone else happens upon this post between now and October and has some helpful insight please let me know. I regularly participate in a couple of other forums for Elk and really like this one. I spent some time on here last night looking around. Looking forward to being part of the club. Good luck this season everyone!

14 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Don’t waste money scouting. The are is small, just show up and hunt. If your lucky to get a bull crossing the Rez, shoot it! Same as cow. Could be record breaking or could be meat. Either way I’d suggest shooting the first legal elk you see. May not see another.

Thanks for the input. I think you're right. If I pass on something hoping for something bigger I probably won't get a 2nd chance.

• Like 1