Sign in to follow this  
Cohunter1989

Tripods

Manfrotto 290 Carbon with a Sirui VA-5 head for backpacking I have a Sirui T-024SK and a VA-5 Head I usually end up taking the Manfrotto anyway, the weight savings is a little over a pound and a half but the stability on there is far and above what Sirui legs are capable of.

Outdoorsman medium compact with extra center pole extension tripod.   I use the outdoorsman micro pan head and it is awesome for 15's if you need light weight.    Other great heads out there if weight isn't a obstacle.   I think this setup is the best "light weight" set up you can get.    You can get lighter and cheaper but both come at a price.   There are a ton of great products depending on weight and price.   For the most part you pay for quality and lighter.   

23 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Outdoorsman medium compact with extra center pole extension tripod.   I use the outdoorsman micro pan head and it is awesome for 15's if you need light weight.    Other great heads out there if weight isn't a obstacle.   I think this setup is the best "light weight" set up you can get.    You can get lighter and cheaper but both come at a price.   There are a ton of great products depending on weight and price.   For the most part you pay for quality and lighter.   

What’s the true weight of your set up?

Tripod was 32 ounces (plus 4 ounces for the center post.   This is a must have!!!!!) and the head was 7.5 ounces.   It is much stiffer than the carbon tripods that they had to try and the outdoorsmans.    For the weight I don't think you can do better than this setup.   Keep in mind that this only works when sitting down.   If you want to stand then you need a bigger tripod.   I personally never glass standing so this works for me.      

Pretty dang light! I feel like I have a great weight to stability to cost setup too. If anyone’s interested for comparisons sake my setup is right at 52 ounces for legs head and outdoorsmans adapter, and cost me about 275 Including pan head not including the adapter. Also the ball head that comes with it is actually pretty decent and does pan and is several ounces lighter.And I’m 6’3” and can stand and glass.