Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

Elk and cattle.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:55 AM, Saguaro said:

All I can speak for is what I’ve seen.  I had an elk tag four years ago and watched two herds in an area without cattle.  I was feeling so good about opening day.  The week before opening day, the rancher opened that pasture and put 100+ cattle.  On opening day, I only saw one cow elk passing through.  She was obviously not comfortable there and on a mission to go somewhere else judging her behavior.  When I see pictures of elk and cattle together, I believe they are elk passing through and won’t willfully spend lots of time there.  As far as the herd I was seeing, who knows where they went.

My exact experience last year.  By the time the elk settle down from the shock of being overrun by cattle, the hunt is likely over. It's such a kick in the nuts to go from having a spot wired to feeling like you showed up opening day like bum that hadn't scouted a lick... 

Photofool what you see is correct but there are two good reasons for what you see. The elk know they are much safer in town  (particularly with their babies) from the wolves and they are also smart enough to know they are safer from the hunters during hunting season within town limits where hunting is not permitted. That's all beside the fact that the best nutrition is right in the town meadows. I had two semi-trucks of hay committed for the elk after the 2011 Wallow Fire but AGFD wouldn't let me deposit them on private lands because a game warden said he thought it would attract the elk permanently to the town fields!!! Well guess what happened??  

Generally speaking, I agree with the premise that elk will gradually move out when large groups of cattle are turned out into a rested grazing allotment.  It pays dividends to speak with locals, ranchers, forest service, etc. to find out if and when cattle will be moved into (or out of) areas of interest.

• Like 2

All this is so subjective. In areas with limited water elk, cows and horses will coexist just fine. They may not want to but they do. This is especially true in the cedar and juniper habitats of the state. I have 35 elk watering with my cows right now. No other water around except the solar pump on our well. 

So the answer to the above, it depends-

On 8/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, afirsttimer08 said:

Question: if you are in an area with lots of cow pies and cattle sign, does that generally mean elk likely wont be found in that area? 

Elk and cattle share the same area all over the state. Learn to look for tracks and elk poo.  

Never paid attention to this. But over the last 7 days I’ve seen mule deer with cows, elk with cows, coues with cows. I don’t think they’re bothered by cows in the slightest bit