Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Favorite Elk Broadheads

6 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Do the Montecs not penetrate enough?

From what I’ve seen and heard it’s the angle of the edge and not cutting well. With out a blood trail even a dead animal is hard to find. 

• Like 1

The Hyde's look beefy and strong , look much better and put together then the Ulmar's edge. Cant wait to smack me a bull elk..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildwoody said:

The Hyde's look beefy and strong , look much better and put together then the Ulmar's edge. Cant wait to smack me a bull elk..

I consider them but I have so many of the old  gravedigger still around. They have been horrific for me

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oz31p said:

From what I’ve seen and heard it’s the angle of the edge and not cutting well. With out a blood trail even a dead animal is hard to find. 

Like with bullets, everyone has different experiences which influence their beliefs. likes and dislikes. There are things that I just won;t use because of 1 bad experience(or heard of bad experiences from others) and no need to if there are other things out there that work. That is the great thing about todays market. Always another optiona nd an opinion on that option.

As with other hunters I have tried many broadheads. Some I like and some I didn't. Neither I nor my small group of influence has ever had a failure with them so they are on all my arrows. I keep waiting for them to let me down so I can move to one of the new cool broadheads but they have not. They CAN BE hard to tune though, but not a difficult thing to overcome.

They seem to do ok for blood letting in the experiences I have had.

20180925_064143.thumb.jpg.5a7819b2dd3ae45232451c649046e71d.jpg20180925_064148.thumb.jpg.7cfbbd7f3cd95e0774148652c98def63.jpg

And for clarification, I am trying REALLY hard not to sound like a "fan boy" for Montecs. They have just served me really well. I tend to stick with what works and NEVER change until I have to. Same bow, same arrows, same everything for 15 years.

Maybe it is time for me to try something new.

Can anybody recommend a good broadhead to try out?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Like with bullets, everyone has different experiences which influence their beliefs. likes and dislikes. There are things that I just won;t use because of 1 bad experience(or heard of bad experiences from others) and no need to if there are other things out there that work. That is the great thing about todays market. Always another optiona nd an opinion on that option.

As with other hunters I have tried many broadheads. Some I like and some I didn't. Neither I nor my small group of influence has ever had a failure with them so they are on all my arrows. I keep waiting for them to let me down so I can move to one of the new cool broadheads but they have not. They CAN BE hard to tune though, but not a difficult thing to overcome.

They seem to do ok for blood letting in the experiences I have had.

20180925_064143.thumb.jpg.5a7819b2dd3ae45232451c649046e71d.jpg20180925_064148.thumb.jpg.7cfbbd7f3cd95e0774148652c98def63.jpg

As you can see  they work pretty good on mule deer size animals. I double lunged a mule deer buck with one.  killed it not much blood.

its hard to argue that the More acute the edge the sharper the cut the more blood. 

I think Montech broadheads and bull elk are probably the only thing that me and every elk guide agree on

• Like 1

I like Rage myself. Fly good with great blood trails. Small broadheads leads to small holes and little to no blood trails in my experience. 

Sounds about right.. I've only killed with muzzy 4 blade fixed.. Want to try something a little more damaging..

I just wanted to follow up on the montechs. I bought some G5's.  I'm hunting in a state that does not allow any expandable blades.  

1st they shoot great.  

2nd they were not sharp in the package.  could hardly shave hair.

3rd they did take some time to sharpen properly.  But I was able to get them very sharp.

4th  They are tough. 

I shot a bull with Montec broadheads and it went south in a hurry. Absolute pinwheel double lung complete pass through on the first shot. It was 3 hours, 3 more arrows and a mile later that i got him down. Penetration is not the problem, not cutting as they penetrate is. Slick tricks ever since then for me. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I shot a bull with Montec broadheads and it went south in a hurry. Absolute pinwheel double lung complete pass through on the first shot. It was 3 hours, 3 more arrows and a mile later that i got him down. Penetration is not the problem, not cutting as they penetrate is. Slick tricks ever since then for me. 

At least they fly good! 😉

after some tuning you can get them to fly pretty good. they aren't a broadhead you can just spin on and shoot. It was hard to believe my eyes watching a bull with an arrow straight through the 12 ring lay in a meadow for almost two hours, then get up and jump a fence. his lungs had holes straight through them but nearly zero internal blood. his chest cavity filled up with air and the shot that finally put him down (spine) deflated him like a balloon. it was strange. he looked like a bloated bull that had been dead for a week. 

• Like 1

GreyGhost   Just curious,  did you sharpen the blades before your hunt?  I am by no means sold on these broadheads.  Just thought I would buy some and shoot.  

yes, i spent a lot of time sharpening them. the ones i used were the old "carbon steel" model. They were supposed to be sharper and easier to put an edge on. I do have a problem with spending that much on broadheads that you have to spend hours honing. 

• Like 2