IA Born

Lee's Ferry Walk In Question

I've fly fished the walk-in area once, last Father's Day (2019) and didn't have much luck, but it was also my first time and more of an exploratory trip.  We fished the Paria Riffle mostly, with no luck, and saw another parking are north of there, but south of the boat ramp.  We fished a little just below the boat ramp, but its tough to get any kind of good back casts in with a fly rod.  I hooked too many trees and couldn't get out far enough shallow enough to avoid the trees below the ramp.  I'm thinking its time to get out of the house again and head north for a morning of fishing on a day off.  Any recommendations?  Is there a trail that leads to good fishing up above the boat ramp?  I know there's a trail that takes you part way to a cabin or something like that (wasn't really paying too close attention).  Can you hike further up from the boat ramp, around that bend and fish?  Maybe I just don't know how to fish the Paria Riffle area, but I was hoping for smoother, slower water, especially with my son wading with me.  You've heard me mention him before; he's the skinny little turd that has to dance around in the shower to get wet!

My take would be to bring someone along who has experience at Lee’s Ferry to show you the nuances of fishing there.   I haven’t been in several years, but the name of the game used to be DEAD DRIFT (strong mending skills...). 😉

As said above, rent a boat.  One with a guide!!! 😂   Seriously though, you will learn a ton for future reference.  

Good luck!!!!!

I wish renting a boat or hiring a guide was financially feasible right now, but its not.  Some day, though...

• Like 1

My advice would be to stop in at Lee's ferry anglers at cliff dwellers buy a few flys and talk to Terry and Wendy Gunn. I am sure they will point you in the right direction for the walk in and be able to answer questions about other access points and trails. Report looks good 7 out of 10 for the walk in.

https://leesferry.com/river-report/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

My advice would be to stop in at Lee's ferry anglers at cliff dwellers buy a few flys and talk to Terry and Wendy Gunn. I am sure they will point you in the right direction for the walk in and be able to answer questions about other access points and trails. Report looks good 7 out of 10 for the walk in.

Big +1 on Terry & Wendy!   A chat with them regarding flies/technique will yield great info! hired Terry as a guide years ago and learned a TON from him in that one day of fishing.

Also, a big big +1 on possible coordination with MULEPACKER!!

Keep doing a little homework and network with the folks mentioned (and generous folks like MULEPACKER) and you'll have a great time!!

S.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

This.

There is a path past Lee's House that takes you upstream. I caught a few last September fly fishing, then put the flys away and murdered them with a Castmaster spoon.

Shame all but a couple had to be released.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone!  As much as I drive that way for work meetings, I always forget about the local fly shop!  I'll be sending Mulepackhunter a message and, possibly plan to head up on a Thursday night, camp on public land, hit the fly shop and pick brains while getting the local flies.  That's what I do every other town I head to, so it makes perfect sense for here!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IA Born said:

Thanks, everyone!  As much as I drive that way for work meetings, I always forget about the local fly shop!  I'll be sending Mulepackhunter a message and, possibly plan to head up on a Thursday night, camp on public land, hit the fly shop and pick brains while getting the local flies.  That's what I do every other town I head to, so it makes perfect sense for here!

Is it still barbless?

2 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Is it still barbless?

I don't know.  I pinch my barbs anyway, so I never really worry about that reg...

Anyone ever float lees ferry in a kayak or canoe?  I was thinking of getting hauled up there and fishing/ camping the way back.  Wanted to make sure it was somewhat safe, as I was gonna have my 12 year old son with me, he bought himself a fishing yak.  

• Like 1