Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

2 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Ditto

Lee is waiting for some info yet before pulling the trigger.  Should know for sure tonight sometime.  

If this happens I'm a noob and have no saltwater gear. I have done party boats where everyone drops straight down for bottom fish and ive done lobos once.   Is the stuff to rent decent or is it all beat up and crappy?  Also for a newb on a budget what rod and reel combos would you guys recomend?  Been looking at the penn squalls and fathoms, shimano speedmaster 2's and the daiwa seegates.  Looks like the squalls are more for bottomfishing?   I'm guessing the speedmaster and the fathom are probably the best 2 "cheap" reels...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Lee is waiting for some info yet before pulling the trigger.  Should know for sure tonight sometime.  

If this happens I'm a noob and have no saltwater gear. I have done party boats where everyone drops straight down for bottom fish and ive done lobos once.   Is the stuff to rent decent or is it all beat up and crappy?  Also for a newb on a budget what rod andmreel combos would you guy recomend?  Been looking at the penn squalls and fathoms, shimano speedmaster 2's and the daiwa seegates.  Looks like the squalls are more for bottomfishing?   I'm guessing the speedmaster and the fathom are probably the best 2 "cheap" reels...

Rental stuff is not too shabby but last year the rental stuff I got stayed on the rack and wasn't used. The mono line was junk. When I would release the spool it would unspring like a slinky.

6 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Rental stuff is not too shabby but last year the rental stuff I got stayed on the rack and wasn't used. The mono line was junk. When I would release the spool it would unspring like a slinky.

Hit or miss then huh?  What kind of reels were they running? 2 speeds?

22 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm guessing the speedmaster and the fathom are probably the best 2 "cheap" reels...

Exactly where I ended up. Went with the 12ii 2 speed on the speedmaster and the FTH60LD2 for the Fathom. 

2 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Exactly where I ended up. Went with the 12ii 2 speed on the speedmaster and the FTH60LD2 for the Fathom. 

Now that you got em both, which one would you give the nod too?

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Now that you got em both, which one would you give the nod too?

They have some different applications. The big Fathom is never going to cast a bait but for jigs or even flylining it's great and with high line capacity, you have a little insurance. I could only cast the 250g flatfalls a few hundred feet. (But I suck at casting)  The 40 is the same reel with a little less capacity. 

The SPM12 casts pretty decent and I like it. I think the 12 makes a good 50# rig.  If I was only able to keep one, I'd probably keep the SPM12.. or maybe look at the Fathom 30LD2.. 

There is a reason guys take 5 rigs on the boat..  lol. 

What makes it tough is you have no clue what class fish you may run into.. anything works on footballs but once you find the 40#+ fish, things begin to change. 

We need 4 dudes and we rent this little house in puerto lobos with cold ac for $30 a piece and we catch groupers and drink bacanora till we throw up 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

We need 4 dudes and we rent this little house in puerto lobos with cold ac for $30 a piece and we catch groupers and drink bacanora till we throw up 

If the tuna trip falls through im down. I promised pickles a fishing trip and I'm gonna deliver. Don't worry about fishing with a woman, she can out cuss you any day. Probably kick your butt too! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Urghhh.  If I had a passport, I'd be in. They aren't doing them now due to the bug. 

I told her next stimulus round we should do passports.  I wanna get concealed carry and CPR certified also. Just cuz.  

12 hours ago, biglakejake said:

any interest in the excalibur out of h&m-1.5 day leaves8pm 7/27 returns 6am 7/29.

i just booked it online.  i think i will stay sunday night at ak chin on maricopa rd and get a couple hundred miles off the mountain before the drive monday.

nothing is set in stone for me however except boarding at 8pm monday.

my tackle is mostly shoot but i will bring it all-just got a fluoro delivery saturday 25, 30, 40#

kinda wound up here-haven't wound line and burned gas since 2008.  sorry Kev if i sounded like i was losin' it--- i am!

lee

928-207-0432

• Like 1