Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m liking the uni to Uni. I was using Alberto. You could always use a longer top shot so you don’t have to cast the knot through the guides 

Or shorter so the knot stays outside the rod. Flouro is expensive. Shouldn't need more than a rod's length. I use about 5 feet or so. YMMV.

On my 25# outfit I have Braid>Mono>Flouro.  The 100 yards or so of mono is a bit of a shock absorber between the braid and the flouro. I go Alberto for the braid to mono, and double uni for mono to flouro.  If the bite is good I much prefer straight mono to a hook and forget about all these other knots. In a plunker bite the flouro makes a difference and the braid allows you to fish a much smaller reel with the advancements in the drags these days.

• Like 1

i will be checking in with the crew first thing,,,but everything i have heard in 2020 is the same-2-3ft topshot that stays below the guides.

• Like 1

I feel good with this on the 25# rig. On my 80# rig not so much. I don't do the mono "spring" eliminating the extra knot and go braid to short flouro topshot to hook.

For mono/fluoro leader to braid, I've been using a knot that I can no longer find on youtube nor do I know it's name.  It's easy to tie, fast and has to this point, not failed on me.  I have pulled on it gloved up with dowels, it is one tough connection.  It casts like a FG knot but on the retrieve the overhand knot can "tick" on the guides.  A solution for the tick on the retrieve could be to leave the tag end of the leader long, do a few half hitches with the braid tag to contain it, then clip the mono/fluoro tag and the braid tag as the final step.  The pupose of the overhand knot is merely to provide a stopper for the braid. 

It goes like this:

1)Tie a semi loose overhand knot in your leader material (leave a 2" tag and a 1/4" knot opening on your leader material)

2) Insert braid through the opening of the overhand knot.

3) Wrap braid 15 - 20 times down the leader material, pinch then overlap back 15 -20 times to the overhand knot, inserting the tag end of the braid back through the opening of the overhand knot in the leader material.

4) Tighten the overhand knot in the leader material but not "all the way" yet.

5) Lubricate, cinch the braid, main and tag.  Glove up, dowels or what ever but this needs to be "made."

6) Finish pulling down the overhand knot in the leader material, trim.

7) Normally, I just clip the tag end of the braid but some use a finishing knot.

This a photo of the knot - 50# braid to 30# Fluoro

Braid to Fluor Knot.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

For mono/fluoro leader to braid, I've been using a knot that I can no longer find on youtube nor do I know it's name.  It's easy to tie, fast and has to this point, not failed on me.  I have pulled on it gloved up with dowels, it is one tough connection.  It casts like a FG knot but on the retrieve the overhand knot can "tick" on the guides.  A solution for the tick on the retrieve could be to leave the tag end of the leader long, do a few half hitches with the braid tag to contain it, then clip the mono/fluoro tag and the braid tag as the final step.  The pupose of the overhand knot is merely to provide a stopper for the braid. 

It goes like this:

1)Tie a semi loose overhand knot in your leader material (leave a 2" tag and a 1/4" knot opening on your leader material)

2) Insert braid through the opening of the overhand knot.

3) Wrap braid 15 - 20 times down the leader material, pinch then overlap back 15 -20 times to the overhand knot, inserting the tag end of the braid back through the opening of the overhand knot in the leader material.

4) Tighten the overhand knot in the leader material but not "all the way" yet.

5) Lubricate, cinch the braid, main and tag.  Glove up, dowels or what ever but this needs to be "made."

6) Finish pulling down the overhand knot in the leader material, trim.

7) Normally, I just clip the tag end of the braid but some use a finishing knot.

This a photo of the knot - 50# braid to 30# Fluoro

Braid to Fluor Knot.jpeg

Tony Pena knot?

33 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Tony Pena knot?

Yes!

Thank you, I only fish once or twice a year and forgot the the knots name.  It's easy, small and strong.  Probably should remove my "how to" post as it is not completely accurate.  Anybody using the knot should use a online tutorial and not my description. 

4 hours ago, biglakejake said:

leader knot for short topshot.  mono to fluoro.

That's pretty slick right there, wonder If it would work for braid to flouro?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m liking the uni to Uni. I was using Alberto. You could always use a longer top shot so you don’t have to cast the knot through the guides 

I always used to hate knots until a buddy showed me the Palomar. Its all I've used ever since.  The uni looks pretty simple and since it can be used to attach a hook and also the 2 lines together I guess I should just get good at that one and only have to learn one 

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I always used to hate knots until a buddy showed me the Palomar. Its all I've used ever since.  The uni looks pretty simple and since it can be used to attach a hook and also the 2 lines together I guess I should just get good at that one and only have to learn one 

Like most people when I’m using braid i use the Palomar for tying to hooks or swivels. 

So 2 questions..

1. Gonna have midweight set up 65lb braid, heavy seat up with 80lb braid.  Ok to just go to a flouro leader? Or is a topshot good insuarance?

2. Spool them myself or take it somewhere? 80lb delivers tonight and 65 I think saturday.  Make my wife sqeeze the roll to wind it? Use a vice with all thread and big washers and a locknut?

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

SEPTEMBER Trip

Looking at reverse 2.5 day on the Excalibur leaving 10am, Sept 15.

Will know more after this sortie on tuesday... 

Lee

I've got a friend who is the chartermaster for a 2.5 day trip on the Excalibur leaving the dock Friday August 28th returning Monday the 31st @ gray dawn.  He's got approximately 4 spots to fill.  If you have interest, PM me.  I won't be on this trip because after 25 years trying, I finally drew 5B lope which opens 9/4.  My focus is on lope this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

So 2 questions..

1. Gonna have midweight set up 65lb braid, heavy seat up with 80lb braid.  Ok to just go to a flouro leader? Or is a topshot good insuarance?

2. Spool them myself or take it somewhere? 80lb delivers tonight and 65 I think saturday.  Make my wife sqeeze the roll to wind it? Use a vice with all thread and big washers and a locknut?

they are yours now, just about nobody will wind your line.  if they have a winder it is a moneymaker with the almost free line they buy.

don't worry about initial dry wind.  just drop the spool in a 5 gallon bucket of water and wind on finger tight.  yea you can take a break to get the feeling back in your fingers.  just make sure line rolls off and doesn't spin off the end of the spool. 

once on the boat and heading out past the bait receivers you will see the guys on the stern feeding their line out about 4 hundred yard and doing a careful layer wind back in.  lots of tension at first for solid base and then decreasing tension as you get to working line length...go tie your leader and you are ready for morning battle.  this is for 40+ line don't even worry about the 20, 25, 30#.

lee

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

they are yours now, just about nobody will wind your line.  if they have a winder it is a moneymaker with the almost free line they buy.

don't worry about initial dry wind.  just drop the spool in a 5 gallon bucket of water and wind on finger tight.  yea you can take a break to get the feeling back in your fingers.  just make sure line rolls off and doesn't spin off the end of the spool. 

once on the boat and heading out past the bait receivers you will see the guys on the stern feeding their line out about 4 hundred yard and doing a careful layer wind back in.  lots of tension at first for solid base and then decreasing tension as you get to working line length...go tie your leader and you are ready for morning battle.  this is for 40+ line don't even worry about the 20, 25, 30#.

lee

Interesting.