Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

Yeah, him and his kid pulled in two.  If I member correctly one fish went completely around the boat. 

First guy that hooked went completely around the boat twice, big freaking boat too. Dude was tired after.  

frank was an offshore petroleum engineer on furlough according to him.  samoan size and i got my doubts.  said he was on 4th straight 1.5 day trip i think.  if that drunk was a petroleum engineer he prob caused the micando blowout under deepwater horizon. 

Kev left out how hard the decks worked to get Pickles a fish.

bft being bft.  i started trying for something to hand off about 2pm after alot of guys hit the bunks.  big boils on the spot but i dropped a hookbait in the middle of 3 boils and not a touch.  a few casts later on 25# i got spun but ended up with a 'swing and a miss'.  tank guy was handing me primo baits in the net and i couldn't get bit after that sinker or flyline.   

these were incredibly beautiful bluefin coming on board still lit up after a 20 min fight and 3 trips around the boat.  just brilliant colors, puking bait, you could see the energy in these overfed beauties.  intimidated.  i need to take off 20 years and a hunnerd lbs.

lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I was surprised it's called a state room. More like a janitors closet,

very roomy.  most staterooms have 3 or 4 bunks the excalbur had two per.  bunkrooms were frigid!

No, he hooked the first and handed off to his daughter. She landed it. Second he fought til the end and handed to her as well. 2 for frank crew

Having a zero baseline I thought the crew was ok. The bait tank guy was solid though. His name is Nick, he tried to make sure Bran pulled one in. Not sure if his line was old or just a faulty knot. When she pulled it back in the end of the line was pig tailed. I liked the guy though.  Also when i hooked, one of the hands stayed by me and guided me pulling it in.  At the end of the day we had a blast and im itching to do it again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

very roomy.  most staterooms have 3 or 4 bunks the excalbur had two per.  bunkrooms were frigid!

You were cold? I got to sleep under the vent the first night. Momma put me in the coffin the second night! It was sweaty for me.

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

So we ended up with 20 pounds of meat. Not sure what the fish weighed but I think it was around 37" and was 35-40 pounds. What say you? 

20200729_205208.thumb.jpg.bc35197572f7e29979ad8c5f24a915e4.jpg

that is like $300 per lb maguro!  just don't overcook it!

Seared-Tuna-1.jpg.8d8bc23707531f0930ff81106ed61ce8.jpg

Just now, cw4192 said:

WTF does salt water fishing have to do coues whitetail.  Start your own forum fruits.

Maybe cuz its in the fishing forum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You were cold? I got to sleep under the vent the first night. Momma put me in the coffin the second night! It was sweaty for me.

you have heard of old men with cold leg syndrome?  i wore thermal bottoms and doubled sweatpants-was prepared!

• Like 1

Sounds like a great trip and great memories.

We are leaving at 230 am and i rigged my 9ft with 50 lb for a squish jig and the 8'2" 30 ln on a purple Nomad Madscad.

Beer, pizza, PBnJ amd donuts are staged.  Spending Saturday night at the Hilton, then heading back to my sister and BIL house.

Ill post report either late Sat or Sun afternoon.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

that is like $300 per lb maguro!  just don't overcook it!

Seared-Tuna-1.jpg.8d8bc23707531f0930ff81106ed61ce8.jpg

I was on a mission to have the most expensive sushi known to man