Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

A brief summary of our 2.5 day trip.

Saturday was windy with very, very choppy waters. We only caught one yellowtail. Captain said no boats were productive.

Sunday we stopped on a reef way south west of San Clemente Island and caught a lot of a red type rock fish. We moved to the east side of San Clemente Island and caught around eight 30 pound Bluefin Tuna.

Just so happened we hit one of those bad spells where we nor any of the other boats could find fish. The New Lo-An tried their best. They have a great bunch of guys.

FYI, if you have Verizon you can get 2 bars of LTE if you are close to the island.

• Like 1

Glad you got some blues, did you get any yourself?  The rock fish make good tacos.

Bite was tough across the fleet, you d9s well.

Sorry about the tough trip man. I hope and pray that will never happen to me but if you fish enough it is inevitable. Sounds like maybe you guys went out to the Cortes Bank possibly? That place is gnarly.

• Like 1

Dude you even have the good hot sauce! So when are we going to trade some bluefin for some grouper?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heat said:

Dude you even have the good hot sauce! So when are we going to trade some bluefin for some grouper?

When I get back down and catch some good fresh stuff for ya 

• Wow! 1

Sweet, I dig it! First time ever I took my catch to the processors so mine is all vacuum sealed up nice. Went from the boat to my freezer in less than 5 hours.

• Like 2

I didn't get any tuna, so I ordered from meats2u.com and got sashimi grade tuna and mahi mahi.

52421.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

New Lo An has been one of the top boats for about as long as I've been involved in this. The skipper has a great reputation as you could see from what was on that video. Every boat has their bad days, but sometimes its the entire fleet as we have seen the last week or so. Seems like boats like the New Lo An have less of those than a lot of others.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, n2horns said:

Glad you got some blues, did you get any yourself?  The rock fish make good tacos.

Bite was tough across the fleet, you d9s well.

I was lucky enough to catch one. Had another one on but when my line got tangled with a couple of others the deck hand accidentally cut my line. No big deal, that’s why it is called fishing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, biglakejake said:

still an all-time favorite video.  coolest bunch ever.

I dig the #fishlivesmatter shirt!

• Haha 1

heating up.

Poseidon yesterday each line is a stop.  1st stop 1 bft 2yft 4 fish lost.  2nd stop 1 bft 3 lost.  and so on...  i wanna go fishing again w that action 

stops811.thumb.jpg.94c0a5f61dd4c8710cce8d6ba6c41c80.jpg

• Like 1

Question, how much meat should you get off a tuna?  Saw a threaad on BD that ranged from like 30 to 50%.  Seems like a pretty broad discrepancy there.