Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

Star drag reels generally have lighter spools and have better freespool which translates to better casting and better for fishing live bait. These reels also have the 3 screw takedown on the handle side which will make maintenance a breeze compared to a lever drag. Star drag reels typically have a spool tensioner than LD's don't. The 12 and 15 sizes in the Star Drag version also have magnetic braking for cast control. Good Question!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

My worry with any star drag was if have a run hitting the switch and having the line snap.  Being a noob I decided play it safe with a lever which acts as a visual drag setting.

That Being said.  Penn website had I think it was squall stardrags on sale for cheap which is was gonna buy for us for lighter fish.  Also they had a deal on a free duffel on top of that. Could be the ticket. 

Nothing wrong with those Sqaull reels for lighter fish especially, and they are being phased out for Squall II so some great deals I'm sure.

• Like 1

Wild how the fish can just change in a weeks time or so. Almost no bluefin at all in the counts today. Nice change compared to the scratch fishing during the transition.

Just now, trphyhntr said:

So that must be Mexican waters if it’s 2 fish limit right 

Not sure if you have ever check out Marinetraffic.com but you can see where some of the boats are fishing. Some turn their AIS off and others won't have a name but you can tell by the color of the boat what kind of boat it is and there is generally a cluster of boats where the bite is.  Seems like they are all kelp patty fishing off of Colonet and San Quintin.

• Like 1

with fishing in the shitter like this-under 300 tuna day august 17-there will be a lot of spots on some primo private charters open up.  seeker had to charter 3 boats for their bunch and are not selling out.  seeker trip is a free stick.  the sdfd charter just went open also.

lee

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Fishing in the shitter;

limits of dorado and yellowtail 

pick one.

sure.  go get them.  guaranteed plenty of elbow room.  if the boat can sell enough tickets to pay for gas and not cancel.  

lee

BFT limits on a Red Rooster 3 day and a ton of quality YT. Fished near Tanner Bank and Cortes. 

BC4D82E1-8E0B-4C98-978D-FB4CA99D2E18.jpeg

• Like 1

Picture of tuna spike i use, also wrapped pliers u of a colors 

20200818_071947.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

BF have been around the other side of Catalina.

Not anymore. They gone!