Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

I have had good sashimi success on YT and BFT/YFT.  I spike all my fish in the head to stop the fish. Bleed and quick into the RSW.  I have brought the fish back to AZ 2 days later on ice and ats sashimi for about a week.

Rest is pan seared amd or grilled.

• Like 1

Nice score for these guys! Wow!

https://www.sandiegofishreports.com/fish_reports/163605/mixed-fish-mayhem!.php

I'm on a quest for dorado, white sea bass, and halibut. Been on that ocean a bunch of times and never caught any of those.

• Like 1

Condor hammered the dodos and yellows again today, as well as the Aztec. I am totally jelly, lol! Wish I was in on some of that! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heat said:

Condor hammered the dodos and yellows again today, as well as the Aztec. I am totally jelly, lol! Wish I was in on some of that! 

Work is slow, I need to go catch some Dorado.

• Like 2

A couple of the Penn Fathom Lever Drag 2 speeds are on sale on Amazon at the moment. 15 and 30 sizes. Very tempting with the 30 but I got a bit better deal on my 40N, so I am going to hold out hope that it will drop a tad more, otherwise no biggy. Either way it is still a great deal on a reel that is one of the best reels you can buy for the money at regular price. The 30 would make a great 30-60# (maybe sweet spot 50#) offshore reel for bluefin and other large pelagics. The 15 is a sweet little reel but I think I would rather have the star drag in that size. Pretty sure the star might have more drag.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Heat said:

A couple of the Penn Fathom Lever Drag 2 speeds are on sale on Amazon at the moment. 15 and 30 sizes. Very tempting with the 30 but I got a bit better deal on my 40N, so I am going to hold out hope that it will drop a tad more, otherwise no biggy. Either way it is still a great deal on a reel that is one of the best reels you can buy for the money at regular price. The 30 would make a great 30-60# (maybe sweet spot 50#) offshore reel for bluefin and other large pelagics. The 15 is a sweet little reel but I think I would rather have the star drag in that size. Pretty sure the star might have more drag.

Darn you...  The 15 would be great for football season... And I think you are correct on the LD vs star drags.. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Heat said:

Why star drag for the 15?

My worry with any star drag was if have a run hitting the switch and having the line snap.  Being a noob I decided play it safe with a lever which acts as a visual drag setting.

That Being said.  Penn website had I think it was squall stardrags on sale for cheap which is was gonna buy for us for lighter fish.  Also they had a deal on a free duffel on top of that. Could be the ticket. 

• Like 1