Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

From 5 Star Fish Processing where I took mine:

Tuna less than 15# 20-30%
Tuna 15-45# 25-35%
Tuna greater than 45# 30-40%

• Like 1

In retrospect I'm irritated with myself I didn't weigh mine. Wish I did though since it was my first ever, also the biggest fish I've ever caught for that matter.  When deckhand was cutting them up mine was the biggest of the bunch of 6 or so laying there but I dont know enough to guess weight, also didnt see the other fish caught laying there, i assume he already cut them up.  I know what a box of drywall mud weighs and it felt close but I didn't think it was possible.  Including belly meat and the collar with the skin still on it was 20 point something pounds of meat.  How big was my fish?

I never weigh anything, I don’t care. It’s pretty easy to tell by looking if it’s a PB or not. That being said, I bought a 50lb spring scale the other day 

• Like 1

Gotcha.  Definitely my PB. Hard to compare saltwater to fresh though. Best flathead was like 25 and that's not even that big in the flathead world. 

Im sure I’ll get crap for asking but..... is blue or yellow tail tuna better fish tacos than cod or halibut? I’ve had fresh cod and halibut tacos but I’ve only ever use blue fin for sushi. Mind you I’ve never been on the ocean fishing.

3 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Im sure I’ll get crap for asking but..... is blue or yellow tail tuna better fish tacos than cod or halibut? I’ve had fresh cod and halibut tacos but I’ve only ever use blue fin for sushi. Mind you I’ve never been on the ocean fishing.

I know you’re trying trigger jake with that yellowtail tuna talk 

• Haha 3

Yellowfin tuna is ahi, yellowtail is hamachi. A yellowtail is nothing like a tuna. If you are familiar with sushi maybe that helps. Neither are great for your typical baja style fish taco. I would prefer trigger or rockfish all day long.

• Like 4