Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

1 hour ago, Heat said:

I would prefer trigger or rockfish all day long.

Ocean Whitefish make primo tacos also.

the fish sportsmen catch is rarely used as sashimi because of handling issues.  fresh caught on the boat is the exception-i've had 5 minute dead yellowtail, bft, yft, albie, skipjack, octopus and bonito sashimi on board-all excellent.

at home yellowtail are in filets usually cooked like salmon or cod,  by far the best way to serve tuna at home is pan-seared tuna steak or pan-seared whole tuna loin sliced-but always bright red and cold in the middle usually eaten sashimi style.  grilled or broiled tuna steak is fine but do not overcook.  you don't need wasabi-good ole American white horseradish is just fine.  and if you cook a tuna loin thoroughly you can make the best tuna salad sandwich you will ever taste-an immense difference from canned.

lee

yellowtail are an inshore/nearshore pelagic species of jack that sometimes wander far offshore. they are prized all over the pacific for their fighting abilities and propensity to take a variety of artificial lures from surface poppers to irons at 200'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

In retrospect I'm irritated with myself I didn't weigh mine. Wish I did though since it was my first ever, also the biggest fish I've ever caught for that matter.  When deckhand was cutting them up mine was the biggest of the bunch of 6 or so laying there but I dont know enough to guess weight, also didnt see the other fish caught laying there, i assume he already cut them up.  I know what a box of drywall mud weighs and it felt close but I didn't think it was possible.  Including belly meat and the collar with the skin still on it was 20 point something pounds of meat.  How big was my fish?

Yours was definitely bigger than my 30#ers. I'd say 40 easy, maybe almost 50.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

In retrospect I'm irritated with myself

forget that.  its 40 for sure so"40" will do.

its about sumptin else.  how many times did you look down at your spool going the wrong way, look at the rod thumpin, stare down your line into that purple water and see nothing, no color at all, and tell yourself "i am never gonna see this fish on deck".  every one of those is a pb or fish of a lifetime, never to be forgotten and DUDE!- your first!  Christ.

lee

• Like 2

13 hours ago, biglakejake said:

forget that.  its 40 for sure so"40" will do.

its about sumptin else.  how many times did you look down at your spool going the wrong way, look at the rod thumpin, stare down your line into that purple water and see nothing, no color at all, and tell yourself "i am never gonna see this fish on deck".  every one of those is a pb or fish of a lifetime, never to be forgotten and DUDE!- your first!  Christ.

lee

And on the crappy rig to boot! lol

On 8/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, biglakejake said:

rethink to september.  if anyone wants to do a trip 9/9 thru 9/24 let me know

lee

Dude, that's the heart of the elk rut?!

• Like 1

Just now, trphyhntr said:

My friends getting married then end of September. I am not going, elk rut.

My daughters birthday is 11/20, same day that my sons 12AW late buck hunt starts. Guess which kid I love more?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Dude, that's the heart of the elk rut?!

ok, that works.  there are several reasons why the boats are only half full after 9/15

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

My friends getting married then end of September. I am not going, elk rut.

Your friend either doesn't hunt or is making a grave error in judgement that will bite him in the butt for years to come.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I would burn and chafe if I wore that. But I’m jealous of the fish they caught.

They caught a fish? I missed that part...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I would burn and chafe if I wore that. But I’m jealous of the fish they caught.

I wish you were that brave

• Like 1