northAZarcher

Unit 33 question

My daughter and a friends daughter drew a youth 33 tag. Super excited even though it's on fire right now!

We have never been to the unit but pumped to see new country. Was wondering about the road conditions?  Are they overall in good shape? We are trying to decide between a trailer and tent.  Just not sure what is the better option.  

Yup. 
last time I was there they were. 
they do maintain the main roads. 
I have gone from oracle through pepper sauce and beyond with zero problems. 
just a dirt road. 

There is a youth camp put on for that hunt by the Arizona Mule Deer Organization Organization Region 5 (for the early youth hunt). I highly recommend talking with them and going to the camp. They will give you as much or as little help as you need including a great camping area with restrooms and running water, great food, mentors to go with you in the field if wanted, etc. These camps are a lot of fun for the kids. My daughter had the same tag last year so we went to the camp.  It is so nice getting up in the morning and returning at the end of the day to hot food waiting. Every kid there also went home with goodies on the last day from the youth raffle. My daughter won the grand prize, a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. They put all this on at no cost.

image.png.4dce7492c21c45e83882b5d726f5158a.png

• Like 6

I would spend a couple of days driving the roads and also look at having an alternate campsite as some of the prime spots get taken. You can also put a trailer in the campground at Peppersauce but I believe you are limited to 25'. The Youth Camp may be your best bet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I would spend a couple of days driving the roads and also look at having an alternate campsite as some of the prime spots get taken. You can also put a trailer in the campground at Peppersauce but I believe you are limited to 25'. The Youth Camp may be your best bet.

The youth camp has a big private area reserved for just their group in the YMCA horse coral area with lots of room for trailers. It was probably 75% trailer campers at 25% tent campers (we were tent campers). Giant area to spread out in grass (not powdery dirt), and not cramped at all. You really can't beat it. 

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Thanks for that info! Very good to know. We will look into it!

2 hours ago, rossislider said:

There is a youth camp put on for that hunt by the Arizona Mule Deer Organization Organization Region 5 (for the early youth hunt). I highly recommend talking with them and going to the camp. They will give you as much or as little help as you need including a great camping area with restrooms and running water, great food, mentors to go with you in the field if wanted, etc. These camps are a lot of fun for the kids. My daughter had the same tag last year so we went to the camp.  It is so nice getting up in the morning and returning at the end of the day to hot food waiting. Every kid there also went home with goodies on the last day from the youth raffle. My daughter won the grand prize, a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. They put all this on at no cost.

image.png.4dce7492c21c45e83882b5d726f5158a.png

Didn't realize they have the youth camp in 33 too! Thanks for the heads up!  

I would imagine after the 120,000 acre bighorn fire the road conditions will change after the monsoons.  also like after other big fires, the FS sometimes will issue a closure order of all burn areas. unknown is when they lift that order.

23 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I would imagine after the 120,000 acre bighorn fire the road conditions will change after the monsoons.  also like after other big fires, the FS sometimes will issue a closure order of all burn areas. unknown is when they lift that order.

They might but most of the unit is scrub and mesquite. In the past they have issued closures (West Clear Creek) due to  potential dead  trees falling.

3 hours ago, AZLance said:

Does the area get hit hard with the monsoons?

58 minutes ago, northAZarcher said:

Does the area get hit hard with the monsoons?

Yes! Most roads in there are normally good but after this fire you/I can’t judge them. As to the scrub and mesquite comment.... I think a lot burned was pine and scrub. That make widow makers and mud slides prevalent.

13 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Yes! Most roads in there are normally good but after this fire you/I can’t judge them. As to the scrub and mesquite comment.... I think a lot burned was pine and scrub. That make widow makers and mud slides prevalent.

yup, majority of burn was up high in the pines, juniper, and oak and come monsoons... all heck will be coming down the mountain with the water.

• Like 2

Does Makayla have the early (Oct) or late (Nov) youth tag, Shawn?  Jacob has the Nov youth 33 tag, so we'll be down there a couple of times before his hunt.  Everything that has been said about the burn and roads/monsoons is true.  If you can get in the youth camp, I highly recommend it, assuming (hoping) it will be happening by then.

2 hours ago, IA Born said:

Does Makayla have the early (Oct) or late (Nov) youth tag, Shawn?  Jacob has the Nov youth 33 tag, so we'll be down there a couple of times before his hunt.  Everything that has been said about the burn and roads/monsoons is true.  If you can get in the youth camp, I highly recommend it, assuming (hoping) it will be happening by then.

She has the early hunt.  We wanted first crack at the deer.  Just have to deal with the heat!

• Like 1