firstcoueswas80

New pack recommendation?

I think discontinued and certain other items are discounted occasionally but otherwise, I'm not really sure they have any sales. 

Keep an eye on Rokslide classifieds for used Kifaru stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:41 PM, trphyhntr said:

And see, I’ve never understood the concept of bringing the kitchen sink to glass for deer for a day or chase Bugling elk for a morning? I was thinking I need 2 packs maybe. If I get into some sort of back packing 

I have no idea what I need. I’ve never had a pack frame, I looked up the kifaru frame $350, then I get a pack that cost 350 to go on that? I don’t even know how this stuff works tbh

I feel your pain.  Just gave my son my Badlands 2200, so I can upgrade and have no idea what to get. We don't ever hike in for 7 nights.  We do walk a lot when hunting, but always go back to the trailer when the sun goes down :). I did want something with a frame to carry elk out since that's the majority of hunting we do.  

Yeah doesn't seem like you hear about Badlands like you use to. When you mentioned their warranty made me wonder if Badlands are the Vortex of the backpack world.

• Like 1

Just now, OpticNerd said:

Yeah doesn't seem like you hear about Badlands like you use to. When you mentioned their warranty made me wonder if Badlands are the Vortex of the backpack world.

It's funny you mentioned Vortex.  Both Badlands and Vortex are the companies that offer lifetime warranties and 40% to military Vets.

As for their clothing i have some and they do a 50% off dale every year.  Poor mans sitka i guess.  

I carried a 2200 on my unit 9 archery bull hunt.  It was well used when I got it,  and it was perfect for that hunt. 

If I was buying a Kifaru today and didn't backpack in, I would be looking at the Duplex Lite Frame and a Stryker Cargo Panel, Nomad, or 22 Mag.

• Like 4

I've had camelpacks, badland sacrifice, and mystery ranch beartooth.

I like the camelpacks for scouting trips, very comfortable under lightweight. 

The sacrifice was my go to for a while. But under a load it just wasn't comfortable. 

I bought the mystery ranch last year and love it. Only downside is its a heavy pack, but when you have a lot of gear in it, its a Cadillac. Hunting mule deer last year I converted a friend from kifaru to mystery ranch in one day. He got the Marshall and loves it. 

I plan on getting another pack soon for the wife/kids/day pack, and it'll be a mystery ranch sawtooth. 

A coworker of mine swears by kuiu, I like their stuff too, I just don't know if I want to venture into that arena.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Heard compalints over the years about their straps breaking under load.  

The only think about that is the warranty would cover all that.  I guess that part doesn't matter if it fails on you out in the field, but that warranty is what draws me to them.  Lifetime no questions asked and transferrable.  I was looking at Kuiu and Kifaru, but their warranty isn't as good.  Too many packs to choose from lol.

Mystery Ranch frame is on sale. Mule for your stuff. Less Expensive than Kifaru but still good stuff. No longer Made in USA though.

4 hours ago, Heat said:

If I was buying a Kifaru today and didn't backpack in, I would be looking at the Duplex Lite Frame and a Stryker Cargo Panel, Nomad, or 22 Mag.

So the frame is useless without the pack right?  There's no meat shelf on the frame itself?  And the pack needs the frame in order to carry it?  I liked the Badlands Ox or Vario, but now you all have me thinking twice.

As much as I'm sold on the kifaru, even used I can't justify the cost at the moment .  Was looking for used ones on rokside and saw someone mentioned mystery ranch terraframes on sale at sierra trading post.  Not one of their "hunting" packs but does have the meat shelf. Basically a clone of the Pintler.  Not a kifaru but for $229 seems like a solid deal. 

• Like 1

If it fits you loaded heavy that is the goal. My kifaru does that well. So does my 100 dollar Easton pack. So if the shoe fits.

• Like 1