Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Fire restrictions. Anyone else considering turning tag back in?

Well, certainly didn't see why that would ruffle anyone's feathers over point guard, or lead one to believe I need someone to Teddy Roosevelt a deer to a tree for me, but okay I suppose.

I haven't been out in 2 yrs due to a health issue.  And as a result I am long overdue and was very anxious to get out for the whole experience, not just the chase and kill.   Campground camping just doesn't do it for me.   Crowds don't work form me.   I chose U10 deer hunts because it allows me to get far out there and away from people, and low hunt pressure.  Certainly not for the hunt success rate, which is pretty consistently one of the lowest in the state.  Though we typically seem to do pretty well there because we hunt our asses off, and over the years have put boots to ground over a great deal of that ranch and know it well.

Keeping fingers crossed, but not looking good.  At some point the concept of saving PTO time to be used when I can get out in a couple months for an extended period and get the entire experience I'm looking for after a far too long absence from it plays into my decision.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daverp said:

Well, certainly didn't see why that would ruffle anyone's feathers over point guard, or lead one to believe I need someone to Teddy Roosevelt a deer to a tree for me, but okay I suppose.

I haven't been out in 2 yrs due to a health issue.  And as a result I am long overdue and was very anxious to get out for the whole experience, not just the chase and kill.   Campground camping just doesn't do it for me.   Crowds don't work form me.   I chose U10 deer hunts because it allows me to get far out there and away from people, and low hunt pressure.  Certainly not for the hunt success rate, which is pretty consistently one of the lowest in the state.  Though we typically seem to do pretty well there because we hunt our asses off, and over the years have put boots to ground over a great deal of that ranch and know it well.

Keeping fingers crossed, but not looking good.  At some point the concept of saving PTO time to be used when I can get out in a couple months for an extended period and get the entire experience I'm looking for after a far too long absence from it plays into my decision.  

Well if your all about getting off the road and hunting away from roads you should be fine. Saying you can’t have a campfire though is kinda BS. Just go hunt dude and make the most of your tag. If you don’t kill then so be it. 

I get what your saying but my last few hunts have been so exhausting all I’ve wanted to do was have a whiskey, eat, and go to bed. Fire was my last concern. I have had a few hunts where a fire was a must. This year I think one of those propane deals would work just fine. Good luck if you decide to go out.

• Like 5

I say you should turn it in. 

there are a lot of people who didn’t draw that go hunting to hunt. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

All my recent hunts I didn’t even want to mess with it. Even on my Idaho moose hunt last year when it was in the low 20’s my sleeping bag was much more appealing than a campfire.

• Like 1

I would hunt it 100%. The hunting is the important part, not the campfire. 

Last time we had a fire hunting/camping my wife got mad. Kicked me out of the 5th wheel for the night.

Campfires make you smell like smoke anyway and will scare away all the animals...

• Haha 1