crazy4COUES

fact or fiction?

Is there any truth to the statement, "If a deer doesn't grow as a forkie his first year he will not get big." Don't all bucks start as spikes?

Thanks

I've wondered that quite a bit and can tell you that most of the yearling mulies I see are two points, they don't start as spikes very often, but I have seen alot more spikes in Coues, but i still see more yearling two points than spikes.

Sorry I'm not much help, just some of the things I've observed

Houston

There are three factors that strongly influence antler development: age, nutrition, and genetics. In a poor nutrition year I think you will see most yearlings be spikes, it doesn't mean they are inferior, just that there wasn't a lot of rainfall the year they were born. I don't think you can fairly say absolutely that a spike buck is an inferior buck that won't grow large antlers later in life. I emailed Jim H. to see what he can add to this. That link Red Rabbit provided gives a lot of info about this. Check it out.

Amanda

When I moved onto a ranch in South Texas back in 1980, the prevailing thought was that spikes were genetically inferior. Hence the rancher wanted us to fill out tags with only spikes. We did, trying to shoot any spike seen, but saw few mature deer as the years progressed. My thought was that we eliminated most of the bucks before they were 2 1/2 YO.

I've also read that even bucks with great genetic potential that are born on a drought year can be stunted for life.

When I moved onto a ranch in South Texas back in 1980, the prevailing thought was that spikes were genetically inferior. Hence the rancher wanted us to fill out tags with only spikes. We did, trying to shoot any spike seen, but saw few mature deer as the years progressed. My thought was that we eliminated most of the bucks before they were 2 1/2 YO.

If you look at a state like NC, where there was no limit on antler size, a lot of spikes are taken, and mature deer are few and far between. I think there was only one B&C deer taken during the 10 years I lived there. Now you take a state like Kentucky, which has a one buck limit (NC had a 6 buck limit when I left), and a minimum antler size, and they produce quite a few trophy deer. They learned to let them grow a few years before harvesting, and the quality of deer went up exponentially.

All great posts. I agree with the article posted.

I have also wondered if a buck dies of old age does he leave this world

with about the same size of antlers as his first set.

When I get a chance I will post a pic of a shed I found last weekend of a spike that is

six inches long and four and three quarters inches at the base.

In my mind, I see a extremly old buck dying with a heavy, heavy 2x2 w/ eyeguards. Semi tall, semi wide, but with heavy horns and massive bases with a lot of stickers right around the burr.

I would LOVE to have the exact deer I just described hanging on my wall!

kind of like this one Casey?

I found it last year on the rez, so of course it's still there and in the hike this morning to that area I let Julie find it and chew on it.

post-1-1216577022.jpg

post-1-1216577156.jpg

post-1-1216577178_thumb.jpg

It's a neat rack. Wish I had it.

Amanda

Absolutely.

Buck like that gets it from me. I love how unique he is. I would hang him from my wall with pride!

I agree with you first couse was80. this shed did look like it was damaged while in the velvet.

It looks like an eye gaurd with a knob where the rest of the main beam should have been.