Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Gutless Field Dressing

Well I have been doing it for the last couple of years on Elk and boy is it the way to go.

Coues n sheep turned me onto it and he has been doing it for a while now and is very efficient at it. The tenderloins

are a little tricky to get to but once you do it or see it done then it's a piece of cake. I also prefer to bone it out.

Sure makes it a clean job!

Well I have been doing it for the last couple of years on Elk and boy is it the way to go.

Coues n sheep turned me onto it and he has been doing it for a while now and is very efficient at it. The tenderloins

are a little tricky to get to but once you do it or see it done then it's a piece of cake. I also prefer to bone it out.

Sure makes it a clean job!

How do you get the tenderloins?

Hey Doug, do you know of anyone who has a video of this process? I've seen it done before, but a refresher course can not hurt.

Thanks

Mike

"Sure makes for a clean job!" Yeah, maybe to the guy in the field who doesn't want to get dirty, but rather sacrifice his game meat. Now I'm not trying sound like a jerk, and if those that want to take it this way, sorry in advance! Did you see the hair all over the antelope? Sure, we all know that the hair on a goat is just horrible to deal with, just touch it and its off dancing around your face sticking to the meat. Wasn't really a close up on the elk, but if there was I'm sure it was cover in hair as well. Maybe those who have tried it were able to keep the meat clean, and the antelope wasn't the best example. Makes it pretty hard when the company you may take it to (if you do not process the meat yourself), to process and package your meat when there is so much junk on it. Plus, when the hunter goes to pick up the meat and thinks he gets shorted?.......well :( Don't raise a stink about it, you did it, not the butcher.....!!

-Jeremy-

Make a small incision by the spine/tail bone and work your way up (toward the head) just about a foot or so then

push down on the gut sack (carefully) :unsure: Then just reach up in there and feel for the TL and start

cutting it out.

Works out real well for Gino but it takes me alot longer :(

well, i've gutted twice as many animals as the whoever is in 2nd place on the whole planet. there ain't an easy way to field dress any big game. i always gut em out, roll the guts away, and then take care of the rest. either punk it out whole, minus the guts, or skin and quarter it on the spot. only thing i leave is the spine and the skull, on an elk. don't see how this method is gonna help much. do you leave the ribs? looks like they'll be pretty much ruined from rolllin' em around in the dirt. how you gonna get the filets out, without openin' up the guts? that's the best part of any animal. if i'm not gonna cape an elk for mounting, i like to get em on their back and skin em out and use the hide to keep the meat clean. there is too much meat on the ribs to just leave it, so take my wyoming saw and cut the ribs next to the spine. each to his own, but the best way i've found is the old traditional way. hard work. Lark.

p.s. i saw some guys do the baseball method once. about destroyed the deer and pulled the carport over they had it tied to.

I have skinned the entire side before cutting off the quarters, then flip it over to do the other side. Too many also cut through the hair from the outside, which produces the loose hairs and dulls the knife quickly. To get the loins, go right through the thin skin above the pelvis and reach in with the hand and they are usually easy to pull out, or use a small knife with your finger near the top of the blade tip to cut the end attachments. Yep, don't want to nick the intestines or bladder.

And you do not need a Butt-Out tool for this method :D

well, i've gutted twice as many animals as the whoever is in 2nd place on the whole planet. there ain't an easy way to field dress any big game. i always gut em out, roll the guts away, and then take care of the rest. either punk it out whole, minus the guts, or skin and quarter it on the spot. only thing i leave is the spine and the skull, on an elk. don't see how this method is gonna help much. do you leave the ribs? looks like they'll be pretty much ruined from rolllin' em around in the dirt. how you gonna get the filets out, without openin' up the guts? that's the best part of any animal. if i'm not gonna cape an elk for mounting, i like to get em on their back and skin em out and use the hide to keep the meat clean. there is too much meat on the ribs to just leave it, so take my wyoming saw and cut the ribs next to the spine. each to his own, but the best way i've found is the old traditional way. hard work. Lark.

p.s. i saw some guys do the baseball method once. about destroyed the deer and pulled the carport over they had it tied to.

+1 for you Lark!

And I have seen a similar incident with the baseball method!! :lol: :lol:

"Sure makes for a clean job!" Yeah, maybe to the guy in the field who doesn't want to get dirty, but rather sacrifice his game meat. Now I'm not trying sound like a jerk, and if those that want to take it this way, sorry in advance! Did you see the hair all over the antelope? Sure, we all know that the hair on a goat is just horrible to deal with, just touch it and its off dancing around your face sticking to the meat. Wasn't really a close up on the elk, but if there was I'm sure it was cover in hair as well. Maybe those who have tried it were able to keep the meat clean, and the antelope wasn't the best example. Makes it pretty hard when the company you may take it to (if you do not process the meat yourself), to process and package your meat when there is so much junk on it. Plus, when the hunter goes to pick up the meat and thinks he gets shorted?.......well :( Don't raise a stink about it, you did it, not the butcher.....!!

-Jeremy-

Definatley not a good example with the antelope! We skin the whole animal not just the front shoulders.

As far as being clean I think its by far very clean!

The last few bulls weve killed have ranged from 1/2 mile to 2 miles from the nearest point we could get any vehicle to so

we bone it out right there.

So I guess my question to Jeremy is how do you do it? Jermey have you ever tried it or you just baggin on it???

OH BTW what does your comment mean when you said the guy in the field does not want to get dirty :blink:

and would rather sacrifice game meat?

-Jeremy-

Definatley not a good example with the antelope! We skin the whole animal not just the front shoulders.

As far as being clean I think its by far very clean!

The last few bulls weve killed have ranged from 1/2 mile to 2 miles from the nearest point we could get any vehicle to so

we bone it out right there.

So I guess my question to Jeremy is how do you do it? Jermey have you ever tried it or you just baggin on it???

OH BTW what does your comment mean when you said the guy in the field does not want to get dirty :blink:

and would rather sacrifice game meat?

Huntn coues.....I'm with you on this one. Waiting for the answers myself.

Yes you still have to be a little careful with hair, like any other method, but this method works great if you can't hang'em yourself.

TJ