Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Gutless Field Dressing

I wont get into whatever this disagreement is, I can only say that I use the gutless method when the bull is a ways from access with a vehicle and man is it easy, clean and efficient. Last year with my sons bull it saved us tons of extra trips and I didnt have dried blood up to my armpits. I personally wont do anything else. If you take your time it seems for me that the gutless is less messy on me and on the meat...........Allen.............

:lol: ha ha ha :lol: I have not been on here much cuz it is summer time and the days are long..... and lots of work to be done. .....But, I got frickin' phone calls about this thread in the late afternoon, cuz many that know me have benifited from the"gutless method".... and I won't do it any other way, if possible.

Not only is it cleaner for the meat, but it is cleaner for the hunters too. It may occur to us down here where our worst Preditor is a Mtn. Lion, but go hunting up North in Griz country and you DO NOT want to be bloody up to your elbows! :blink: ;)

I learned the method some years back from my good friend & hunting partner, Lee. It makes in field processing a breeze! He and I did a very large bodied bull gutless in 5B a couple of years back that netted 286 lbs of boned out meat on the scales at Casey's when we got there. I am pretty sure we did not waste any... :rolleyes: ...that pile of bones had more white showing than red when we walked away packing just meat cape and horns ;) ...and the meat was cleaner than 99% of the meat that comes out of the woods! ;)

You use the animal as a barrier to the ground..... Most animals are laying on their side any how, so you simply split the hide from tail to scull plate, down the spine. Peal the hide toward the belly, and when you run out of room to work start your cape cut at mid-body (if lifesize caping no cut!). The back half of the hide can be hacked as needed to get the job done, but you have to be patient up front. (Learning where and how to cut quarters off a carcass is something every hunter should have to learn before getting a tag IMO, because that is how meat gets waisted!) <_< Skin off the the rear and front quarters, hang in tree or lay on a shaded rock. Then starting at the pelvis startworking the backstrap off toward the front. I like to take the entire backstrap and the entire neck"filet" (all neck meat) off in one chunk if I have some one to hold it up for me..... ;) If not, it will be two chunks. Some critters have more meat on the ribs than others, but a good "rib role" will net some great burger, and if done right will get as much meat as any bucher can get off that cage. Last, but not least, Tenderloins!!!!!! :D They are hidden right under the "short ribs" and it is always hard to do the first one every year.... but a short paring knife works great on this task. Once ALL the meat you can salvage is off the side facing the sky, it is time to turn it over and repeat the process! The only thing that does often get a bit messy in this is the cape... but they wash. Oh, and that is why I most likely would not recomend trying this for the first time on a speed goat. ;) :lol:

Once all 4 quarters are hung to cool you can start loading packs with the coolest deboned meat first. We use heavy garbage bags for pack liners and then transfer the meat to gamebags as soon as we get to the wheelers. I bone the the quarters as they hang in one chunk and drop them right into a pack (a front and a back quarter, boned out is about a pack full and a fair load for most guys). With cape, horns, and boned out meat you are still looking at a one trip out with 4 guys ( but, 3 Bad A$$es can do it in one trip).... without the cape, 3 guys=one trip is no brainer. I have used this on coues & sheep (no pun intended) 2 ways.... with help or close to a vehicle, leave bone in on the quarters just bone out the torso..... and/or..... if alone packing or way out there, do it just like an elk and spare the space and weight. Every pound counts on a long walk.

I totaly agree with Troy on the concept that meat processers hate boned meat because they are not getting paid for the weight of the bones. For the guys that do their own processing..... you are half done before you even get it out of the woods and it cools out faster without the bone in the middle. And for all you guys that Never get more than a 1/2 mile from the truck.... we still do elk that you can drive to (trophy elk as TJ says), gutless with bone in quarters and bone out the torso..... ;) ..... a little something for everyone! ;) :lol: It is a no brainer... learn it, use it, benifit from it! It is Way easier once you have been shown or done it with someone else... just like everything, there is a right and a wrong way to do it.... don't be a nay sayer if you have not seen it properly done.

Good luck on the draw results... hope you all get your first choice! ..... except for those that might have put in for the same units we did!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

The gutless meathod came in handy once when I was a long ways from base (backpack) camp, on deer, and it was getting dark on a mean mountain. The method is quick, and puts the animal in a form that is highly carryable. Got me back to camp at dark O'clock with my head and meat, and without the stress of stumbling around in the steep desert with a flashlight.

Mike

We're gutless converts too. Always packing plenty of game bags and a couple of cheap plastic table cloths are a great idea as well.

Less muss. Less fuss.

Ginos method of skinning up the spine might be something for us to try this year. Ive always done in by skinning up the belly. Sorta like if you were gonna make a rug out of the critter.

Lotta times we bone out the front quarters later just to get out of the canyon.

just my .02 cents.

I have never tried the gutless method, but I would like to learn. I have always carried a cheap 6'x6' tarp in my backpack to put on the ground.

You guys sound like a bunch of prepubesent girls chattering on the phone... "eewww, its dirty... gross!" "Oh no, there's hair on it!!" "And blood!!" "Groddyy!!"

Grow a set and quit being a nancy!! You've just killed an animal. There's gonna be blood. There's gonna be some hair. heck, there might even be a few organic M&Ms get on your hand or under your fingernail.. It's all part of killing an animal and then preparing to get him out of whereever it is you shot him. Roll up yer sleeves, and get to work!!

I think this whole "gutless" method is just some new fandangled fad that some dude came up with claiming it to be the newest, best thing since sliced bread.. I call it BS..I've seen it twice, and it sure as heck wasn't quicker or any cleaner or made the load I had to pack out any lighter.

God, I sound like Lark. :(

I have never heard it referred as such before but I have butchered lots of game this way. :blink: You don't have to get nasty to be effective. Except for Africa, all of the outfitters I have hunted with use this method. ;) I can hear the outfitters out there laughing right now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy hunting!

PH

Thats pretty much what I think too!

You guys sound like a bunch of prepubesent girls chattering on the phone... "eewww, its dirty... gross!" "Oh no, there's hair on it!!" "And blood!!" "Groddyy!!"

Grow a set and quit being a nancy!! You've just killed an animal. There's gonna be blood. There's gonna be some hair. heck, there might even be a few organic M&Ms get on your hand or under your fingernail.. It's all part of killing an animal and then preparing to get him out of whereever it is you shot him. Roll up yer sleeves, and get to work!!

I think this whole "gutless" method is just some new fandangled fad that some dude came up with claiming it to be the newest, best thing since sliced bread.. I call it BS..I've seen it twice, and it sure as heck wasn't quicker or any cleaner or made the load I had to pack out any lighter.

God, I sound like Lark. :(

Hahaha :lol: you guys are funny! :rolleyes:

The "Gutless Method" is the best way period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like the gutless method then you don't understand it!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your meat is getting dirty then You Are Doing It Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are leaving ANY Meat behind then You Are Doing It WRONG!!!!!!!!! That includes Tinder Lions, rib meat, organs, ANY MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is not the easest way for you to BEST take care of all of the meat then You Are Doing It Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the porcessor does not commend you on your fine meat everytime you bring something in, then Gess What? You Are Doing It WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done hundreds of big game animals this way and it is the Cleanest, Fastest, Easiest and Best way to take care of a large big game animal.

For those of you who insest on hanging up an elk to skin it all I have to say is.... What a waste of valuable time that was always for me and the meat before I knew better.

I would be glad to show anyone "hands on" what was tought to me and what I have learned over the years with the gutless method!

It is a wonderfull thing to know!

Lance

Hahaha :lol: you guys are funny! :rolleyes:

The "Gutless Method" is the best way period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like the gutless method then you don't understand it!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your meat is getting dirty then You Are Doing It Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are leaving ANY Meat behind then You Are Doing It WRONG!!!!!!!!! That includes Tinder Lions, rib meat, organs, ANY MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is not the easest way for you to BEST take care of all of the meat then You Are Doing It Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the porcessor does not commend you on your fine meat everytime you bring something in, then Gess What? You Are Doing It WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done hundreds of big game animals this way and it is the Cleanest, Fastest, Easiest and Best way to take care of a large big game animal.

For those of you who insest on hanging up an elk to skin it all I have to say is.... What a waste of valuable time that was always for me and the meat before I knew better.

I would be glad to show anyone "hands on" what was tought to me and what I have learned over the years with the gutless method!

It is a wonderfull thing to know!

Lance

Well said! Agree completely.

Bob