Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Firearms purchase questions

I have a few questions:

My son is stationed in CA. He wants to start an AR build. He still has his AZ ID. Even though he is "living" in another state can he still buy here? Also, is everyone still being delayed? I ask because it would be several weeks before he could get back in town to complete the transfer. 

Second question, a friend of mine in MN has a christensen mesa he is wanting to trade me for an AR I have. I am driving there later this year. Could we do a transfer in MN, or do we need to ship to an FFL. 

Just trying to stay on the right side of the law with everything. 

If he’s stationed in CA is AZ his state of residency? If he has AZ ID and is still a resident that should be no issue. 

The only issue would be that in the 4473 it asks for your current residence.  
If his current residence is California, that is what he would need to put down.   If that is not what is in his ID it could be a problem.  
The same way with his build.   If the AR is going to be in Ca it need to adhere to the rules of the state.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter if you bought and built in AZ, it would need to comply with the state  where it (the gun) resides.  

California has some commie like gun laws. If I was living there I wouldn't want to break any of them. Being in the big house, being tossed between 2 hungry inmates was something that I ever thought about. Have him call the California Rifle and Pistol Assoc. 714-992-2772.

• Like 1

The rifle will stay in Arizona. He is just wanting to get one done in case the Biden administration has its way with a ban. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 8:33 PM, Tradbow67 said:

The only issue would be that in the 4473 it asks for your current residence.  
If his current residence is California, that is what he would need to put down.   If that is not what is in his ID it could be a problem.  
The same way with his build.   If the AR is going to be in Ca it need to adhere to the rules of the state.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter if you bought and built in AZ, it would need to comply with the state  where it (the gun) resides.  

You don't automatically become a resident of were you are stationed. This info isn't necessarily true. Duty stations can change overnight and constantly. Most likely were he is licensed is considered home for such purposes especially if the rifle is going to be kept there.  

25 minutes ago, BeardownAZ said:

You don't automatically become a resident of were you are stationed. This info isn't necessarily true. Duty stations can change overnight and constantly. Most likely were he is licensed is considered home for such purposes especially if the rifle is going to be kept there.  

Agree 100%. If he were trying to buy in CA this might be an issue since he has AZ ID...but if his ID is AZ and he’s buying in AZ with intent to leave the rifle in AZ there should be no issue. Is AZ his state of residence with the military?

Im pretty sure I never had any issues buying guns 20 years ago why stationed at FT. Bragg, NC. Pretty sure all I needed to show was orders that sent me there.

4 hours ago, BeardownAZ said:

Was going to respond, but not worth it.  
All the necessary info in in the link following my previous response.  

2 hours ago, Tradbow67 said:

Was going to respond, but not worth it.  
All the necessary info in in the link following my previous response.  

Hmm it’s either changed Or that info is wrong. Spent 4 years in Virginia and was never a Virginia resident and was still an AZ resident the whole time. State taxes were still paid to AZ as well

edit: just looked it up and as I stated before was correct as far as residency is concerned. Were you are stationed is not your residency unless you want it to be and change it to be. 

You could also purchase it and it could be a gift down the road. Or it's a great project to do together as well.