gmcbob

Carrying Handgun while hunting

Hello everyone -

First time 'post'er, but have been visiting for a month now.

So I am considering purchasing a semi-auto compact / light weight handgun for my fall hunts. I've done my research, looked around, and checked out manufacture's website.

But, I'm just curious now what fellow hunters recommend? Something that I can keep for many years.

Thanks!,

Bob "gmcbob"

Glock. 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, any will do, pick the one you like & can shoot well.

First off welcome! I always carry a sidearm with me when im hunting for personal protection. I used to carry my Glock 23 40 S&W. But now I carry a HK USP 40. Its all about what you feel comfortable carrying. I prefer the high capacity 40 cal.

Go to the clasified section and buy that XD 40 you will love it.

yeah I saw that, thanks. Good gun from what I've heard, and cooper's is in the .40 cal that I want.

I'll check one out next I'm at Sportsmans and see if I like the feel; might be interested in his.

Thanks for the welcome ajo.

Bob

Spot on advice. I have had my XD for 5 years and it has more blood on it than I care to think about it. I love the gun!

I WAS in the same boat as you until I bought my 357 a couple of weeks ago. I'm a collage student and don't have a ton of money so I wanted an all around hand gun and I think I found it in the 357. Not the ideal gun for that type of use but it can it can serve as protection and maybe a HAM hunt gun for the future. Pluse I just like revolvers.

just my $.02

I'd have to agree with a revolver. The .357 magnum is a great caliber that will take down just about anything. You can also shoot .38 specials through it if you want a little less bang.

KP

I know you were thinking about a semi-auto, but a stainless wheel gun brings a lot of good things to the table! Check out a .357 Ruger SP-101 snubnose --- readily packable, speed out of the holster, PLENTY of power from 125-grain magnum hollowpoints, and accurate as you could want. Very reliable, and it's NOT unpleasant to shoot!

Lv2hnt

That Taurus is nice! And I've had good luck with Rugers, so I'll check into the SP-101 also.

Well I'm second guessing myself now....As much as I would like to be able to justify purchasing a nice semi-auto, a small revolver is probably a better bet for what I need, so the search continues.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bob

Just fire a round off with your rifle. Then the guy should start running now comes the fun part let him get out about 300 yards and nail him. :lol: :lol: :lol: J/k