Stray Horse

Tell us about your elk rifle, and cartridge?

Winchester Model 70 chambered in 300 WSM. I have custom pillar bedded the stock action and barrel in a Boyd's thumbhole stock, topped it with a Luepold VX3 6.5-20 X 50mm. Before the scope left the factory I added the M1 long range target turrets. Preliminary testing with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds is delivering 3 inch groups at 300 yards.

post-3575-0-61390900-1309405949_thumb.jpg

post-3575-0-80061600-1309405976_thumb.jpg

post-3575-0-24709300-1309405992_thumb.jpg

post-3575-0-19968800-1309406007_thumb.jpg

i like them model 70's. but i hate to tell ya, ain't no way you can shoot good with that non-fat barrel. or at least that's what i've been told by all the experts on here. :lol: :o how do you like that boyd stock? did it fit well? how much work did it take to fit the barrel and get the action in tight? i've looked at em on the net, but never bought one. is the thumbhole big enough for a buy with big thumbs? nice rifle, Lark.

Yeah I hear ya on the skinny barrel but I like carrying it better. The Boyd's stock is not bad to work with however it does require some work to get the fit. Definitely not a "drop in". As you know though, all the work comes in making additional room for the pillars and bedding. Put a few wraps of electrical tape around the barrel to free float and then removed no wood at the tang but a lot in between. Takes a little patience to do it right but the results are worth it. I have never been a fan of synthetic and I know a lot of people that are not fans of the laminated wood. My experience with the laminated wood is they hold their zero in all types of weather. I also have one on a 270 WSM that shoots great after the bedding. I don't have huge hands (I wear XL work gloves) so the hole is plenty large.

Scott

Just tried my new reloads through my Ruger Mark 7 Hawkeye 160 gr. Sierra Game Kings with 64 gr. of powder. My Buddy put an elk down with one shot at approx. 240 yrds. He will be posting story and pics soon.

Probably not the best elk rifle there is, but the 257 wby will have its first chance at an elk in T - 4 days. Muy little brother has a Jrs. only hunt in unit 1 starting Friday.... I know it shouldnt be hard to find a cow in unit 1, but Im always nervous for his hunts!

• Like 1

This year I'll be packing my Winchester M70 in 270win stoked with 150 grain triple shock bullets.

My son is using a T/C Venture in 300WM and 165 grain original x bullets.

Ruger No 1 in 300 Holland & Holland - the original 300 Magnum. Handloads with 200g Nosler Accubonds and IMR4350. Replaces my Remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen stoked with 225g Barnes.

My favorite elk rifle is a Ruger M77,.300 Win. Mag.bedded in a Bell and Carlson stock, 180 Barnes TSX, 74 grains of RL22. This has accounted for 4 bull elk in the last 6 years. 3 bulls dropped in their tracks and 1 walked about 40 yards and collapsed. Longest shot was 293 yards. 2 shots at 292 yards. This year's bull was at 92 yards. I like this setup.

• Like 1

Remington 700 sps stainless .300 win mag. Leupold vx1 9x40 shooting 180 grn accubond RL22 powder accu load

OH yeah i killed my first bull @ 450yds! He dropped was double lunged with this setup i forgot to add i have a HArris bi-pod on this gun too!

Probably not the best elk rifle there is, but the 257 wby will have its first chance at an elk in T - 4 days. Muy little brother has a Jrs. only hunt in unit 1 starting Friday.... I know it shouldnt be hard to find a cow in unit 1, but Im always nervous for his hunts!

So, what was the result? I have a .257 that I may "allow" my fiancee to use, possibly on elk. Thanks!!

Heck ... I gotta get drawn to have an "Elk Rifle", right??? I think I am at 15 points and counting ... haven't been drawn in AGES!!! Considering all of the skirmishes I've heard of this year during Bull Elk Hunts, I am thinking of putting in for Cow Elk ... 15 points ought to get me drawn for that right?

IF I ever get drawn, I'll do the job with a Winchester Model 70 Classic in .300 RUM, Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Mildot, and some Barnes 180's. BIG IF!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Remnington 700 LSS Chambered in .300 WSM Sporting a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. Cartidge is handloaded 180 gr. Nosler Partition Protected Point projectile, stuffed into Norma Brass,(seated .010 off the lands where it likes it.) filled with 63gr. of Reloader 19 doing just under 2800 FPS. :)

post-6055-0-17603600-1326746144_thumb.jpg

Howa model 1500 .300 Win mag with vortex viper 6.5-20x44 scope and blackhawk axiom u/l stock. Shooting 165 gr. Barnes triple shock

post-3176-1280979299_thumb.jpg

Very Nice. I worked for Blackhawk up in Bozeman, Montana this last winter for 7 months. I molded many Axiom stocks,as well as thousands of Pistol holsters. I would have stayed at Blackhawk,as it was a good job, but the pay was pathetic.

The Navy seal team that went in and took out Osama were all wearing pistol holsters manufactured in our department. I would like to think I took a hand in getting rid of Osama ;)

• Like 1