Stray Horse

Tell us about your elk rifle, and cartridge?

Mine is a Rem 700 BDL in .300RUM with a few tweeks. HS Precision stock, trigger job to 3#, Vortex 4-16x50, KDF muzzle brake, etc.

Took an elk with it back in the 90s when it was brand new, haven't been drawn since. If I could ever draw another elk tag, I would be a happy hunter.

My hand load is as follows...

IMG_20130529_193552_937_zps268a5a29.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Mag. Redfield scope, nothing special. I am working up loads with 120gr. Nosler Partitions for it. It is my all around gun. I have other rifles to carry depending on the weather or area's too that are heavier if necessary.

I started hunting elk by using a Browning BAR in .308 for my first 3 Arizona elk, then I picked up a Winchester Coyote Lite in .325WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 scope. Shot my 4th elk in New Mexico in 2006 at 300 yds using factory Ballistic Silver Tip 180 gr bullets.

post-736-0-78955100-1389897986_thumb.jpg

Then I had my friend Bob camo it and I got this New Mexico cow with it in 2010.

post-736-0-33580400-1389896560_thumb.jpg

IF I ever get drawn again, I'm putting together another Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag, it's a Gold Medallion edition. Going to put a Leupold matte silver Gold Ring 4.5x14x50 scope on it. Yes, I like silver guns. :)

post-736-0-70608200-1389899249_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I just received a Winchester M1917 made for the Enfield company in Dec. 1917. All I got is the receiver and a match grade custom barrel. They also sent me a trigger and another piece. This will be a long rebuild but when it is done it will be a killing machine. It is chambered in 30-06 and my dads hand loads are Hornady 130grn soft points backed by 53grns of BalC-2 powder. Out of his 03A3 they run 3150fps and his riffle shoots 5 rounds inside a dime at 100 yards, hope my gun can match it. Looking forward to getting started with the build.

• Like 1

I just received a Winchester M1917 made for the Enfield company in Dec. 1917. All I got is the receiver and a match grade custom barrel. They also sent me a trigger and another piece. This will be a long rebuild but when it is done it will be a killing machine. It is chambered in 30-06 and my dads hand loads are Hornady 130grn soft points backed by 53grns of BalC-2 powder. Out of his 03A3 they run 3150fps and his riffle shoots 5 rounds inside a dime at 100 yards, hope my gun can match it. Looking forward to getting started with the build.

That's really awesome! Would you post a picture of it please?

Ok here is two pics taken with my phone! Sorry for quality

post-5396-0-79637900-1389903016_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-86608600-1389903040_thumb.jpg

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/white_christmas346/attachicon.gif] IMG_20140116_130437.jpg

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/white_christmas346/attachicon.gif] IMG_20140116_130504.jpg

Wow, that is going to be a job! It's going to be awesome when you get it finished. Hopefully you'll post about it then. Thanks for the reply.

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/white_christmas346/attachicon.gif] IMG_20140116_130437.jpg

[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/white_christmas346/attachicon.gif] IMG_20140116_130504.jpg

Wow, that is going to be a job! It's going to be awesome when you get it finished. Hopefully you'll post about it then. Thanks for the reply.

Oh ya! but like I said it will take awhile. O promised them that I would take a video of the first fireing and send it to them, I think I will also post it here.

Is that the one that was for sale on here a few months ago?

YUP!

I started hunting elk by using a Browning BAR in .308 for my first 3 Arizona elk, then I picked up a Winchester Coyote Lite in .325WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 scope. Shot my 4th elk in New Mexico in 2006 at 300 yds using factory Ballistic Silver Tip 180 gr bullets.

attachicon.gif2006 NMex elk.jpg

Then I had my friend Bob camo it and I got this New Mexico cow with it in 2010.

attachicon.gifNM cow 2010-4.jpg

IF I ever get drawn again, I'm putting together another Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag, it's a Gold Medallion edition. Going to put a Leupold matte silver Gold Ring 4.5x14x50 scope on it. Yes, I like silver guns. :)

attachicon.gifBrowningGoldMedallion.jpg

LOVE the BAR's!!! That one is a beauty! I have a BAR in .7mm Rem Mag caliber that my father bought for me 25 years ago that I absolutely cherrish! I also have a nice Remington 7400 semi-auto in .308 that I like quite a bit too (All three of my kids killed their first deer with that one.....).

Thanks for sharing the pic of that fine looking rifle!

S.

:)

• Like 1

I started hunting elk by using a Browning BAR in .308 for my first 3 Arizona elk, then I picked up a Winchester Coyote Lite in .325WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 scope. Shot my 4th elk in New Mexico in 2006 at 300 yds using factory Ballistic Silver Tip 180 gr bullets.[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/majesticcmas34/attachicon.gif]2006 NMex elk.jpg

Then I had my friend Bob camo it and I got this New Mexico cow with it in 2010.[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/majesticcmas34/attachicon.gif]NM cow 2010-4.jpg

IF I ever get drawn again, I'm putting together another Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag, it's a Gold Medallion edition. Going to put a Leupold matte silver Gold Ring 4.5x14x50 scope on it. Yes, I like silver guns. :)[img=http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/public/style_images/majesticcmas34/attachicon.gif]BrowningGoldMedallion.jpg

LOVE the BAR's!!! That one is a beauty! I have a BAR in .7mm Rem Mag caliber that my father bought for me 25 years ago that I absolutely cherrish! I also have a nice Remington 7500 semi-auto in .308 that I like quite a bit too (All three of my kids killed their first deer with that one.....).

Thanks for sharing the pic of that fine looking rifle!

S.

:)

Yes, love them Browning BAR's, really all semi-auto's are cool! My .308 I bought around '85, after my first deer rifle got taken in a burglary. It was a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 with a Redfield scope that I bought used for $80. When I get the scope for the .338, I'll post it.

• Like 1