208muley

iPad,topo and goggle earth

I am thinking about buying an iPad to use just for hunting. I am tired of lugging my laptop around in my truck for topo.Is there an topo app that I can get that I can use the whole state offline? The same for google earth? I am barely good enought on a computer to use websites so I am not sure what I can do? Lol

Trimble free for ipad, you can use offline. You have to get the ipad that has a GPS chip, maybe they all do. I think you have to at least look at the maps while you have service then you can use it without. Also ihike GPS is a great app. I switch between the two.

I have the same plan, but getting an android so I can view my SD cards from my trail cam. A heck of a lot cheaper too.

This is something I have wanted to do for a while.

Is there a way to use google earth offline? Like maybe just save the map portion you want to use?

This is something I have wanted to do for a while.

Is there a way to use google earth offline? Like maybe just save the map portion you want to use?

You can do a screen capture and view it in your photo album.
  • Like 1

Yes you can do that but I was looking to utilize the 3d features and panning ability. This got me thinking tonight so I fired up the google machine.

It appears its rather simple and involves clearing the cache and letting the new images fully load while you are connected to wi-fi. They will retain a small amount of memory in the cache.

The Trimble pro app looks like it may be the ticket though.

• Like 1

Wampus are you saying google earth can be used offline? Like I said you have to speak sloooooooowly to me about puter stuff! Lol

Well I use an iPad for hunting and let me tell you Im so glad i don't have to lug around a laptop. For a topo map on your iPad i use OnXmaps it's great it gives you lots of options topo, aerial imagery, street maps, basically anything you will need and you can use it offline also! It's not free but it's not crazy expensive for a year subscription and if you are a RMEF member it's a year free. I also use my iPad to read SD cards for my trail cameras it's much lighter and smaller to pack, you can buy an apple Sd card reader for around $30! Some other added things I use but aren't necessary are iBooks an app where i have all the regs pre loaded on the ipad so I can access quickly without any internet you just have to preload them once! If you aren't sold yet you can charge your iPad through a car charger instead of having to go through the trouble of the converter.

• Like 2

+1 on Tremble. Great free ap that shows topo and satellite views. For a small charge you can get overlays for: land ownership, street maps forest roads/number, Doppler radar, under water maps of lakes, and much more.

Other than screen size of an Ipad.... I find that the Garmins with The OnXmaps HUNT chip and then downloading and using Birdseye view through basecamp and layerd works well for getting the satatlite image of what you are hunting .... can easily be truned on and off as well on your garmin...

this combo gives you the most extensive layers and details including BLM ( private land ownership) , Hunting units ... and satalite view....you will not get entire state for Birdseye on your GPS but should be able to get most of your unit ....

Its much easier to just use a smart phone made in the last few years with a GPS map app. Phones have been getting larger anyway. There are alot of hunting/hiking GPS map aps that you have a ton of map options(including google satelite, land owner type, and google terrain). The only thing you have to do is download the maps for the area you will be in before you go out of cell/wifi coverage. Then it works off of GPS satelite and the maps you downloaded once you are out in the sticks. No need to buy extra hardware or lug ipads or laptops around. You always have all you waypoints, routes, notes, etc right in your pocket all of the time.

I'm running Iphone 6 and Gaia GPS app.

• Like 1

+1 on Gaia! Not free, but worth the money! I'm running it on my phone and iPad. You only have to buy it once, the purchase transfers to other Apple products you have registered on the iCloud.

• Like 1

Yes...you can use google earth offline....

But when hunting I like to use an app on my droid phone called back country navigator pro.....as with other map apps, you download the maps to your phone before you go and can use them while hunting....they have a ton of map types you can use...this is a great app

On my last couple of hunts Ive been using my phone with google maps. But obviously a tablet would be the ticket.