couesfreak23

Need Help (Hunting Clothes Layering)

Hi looking to building a layer system for December coues hunting here in Arizona. Just wondering if you guys could share some info on the layering system you use, which brands also do you need to buy several pairs of shirts,pants ect I would think for socks and underwear yes but not for pants/shirts$$$$$. Appreciate any info

My base layer is regular ole underwear and a light t-shirt. I am lucky I have a brother in the Army and he gave me a pair of his Silk thermos. They are awesome. They are light but very warm and don't eat you legs up or constrict you. Then next a good pair of socks preferably wool but no to heavy depending on the time of year. December you could be hunting in short sleeve shirt in mid day. I wear carhart long sleeve t-shirt next, then a good scent control camo t-shirt after that, my camo jacket last. A camo knit cap if needed. I wear my regular wranglers over thermos with my leafy pants. It can be cold as heck in the morning but when the sun comes up it can get warm. Just depends on the unit you are hunting in. A good pair of gloves at first then my light camo shooting gloves later. I have 3 pair of boots. Waterproof all of them. Some are heavier then others. Redwing is a good brand but thats my opinion.

Wear what you would want for the mid day temp and suffer in the AM. A stocking cap, fleece scarf, and warm gloves will make the AM almost bearable.

• Like 2

Just dont wear cotton. I wear a sitka long sleve shirt as a base layer, any brand fleece midweight and something waterproof/windproof as an outer layer. Leave room in your pack for one of the layers to come off midday. Cotton absorbs water which is bad if you sweat a lot like me or if it rains.

Also no need for those big bulky camo jackets if you layer the right way. Even in 30 degrees i am usually good with just my base layer and fleece midlayer once i start hiking. The fleece should be tight fitting not the loose kind. If you hunt in the stickers and burrs the fleece sucks cause it attracts all kinds of stickers so keep the outer layer on and ditch the fleece if too warm

125g or 145g merino wool long sleeve with a 210g second layer. Kuiu guide jacket. Kuiu attack pants.

I usually bring 2 sets for a 4 day hunt. Usually can't get away from work in December longer than that.

Try merino and you'll understand. I like both first lite and kuiu.

Kuiu attack pants are insanely versatile / comfortable.

• Like 2

I like under armour. Mostly because I can get 50% off but it does work well for me.

My January archery hunt in a foot of snow and single digit mornings used combinations of merino wool and underarmor base layers with coveralls. Coveralls are a late season game changer for me.

All good suggestions but the most useful thing I have for layering is an ultralight down jacket. It wads up into a baseball size lump for stowing and weighs near nothing. When you need it or start the day shake the heck out of it and put it on under your shell. It is very warm. Kuiu and a couple of other companies now make waterproof down. I currently use a mountain hardwear version in bright yellow which allows me to use it to show the other guys I am hunting with wear I am if we are glassing from opposite spots.

• Like 1

Great info guys looking at kuiu,first lite,Sitka or higher end cabelas gear but if anyone has try different brands would like to hear experience. Also right now all I have is cabelas long sleeve t shirts and pants that are 100% cotton, early in the morning when hunting pants get soak due to condensation on grass ect t shirt gets cover in sweat and they take for ever to dry and this creates a big problem when I glass at first light because I'm shaking in till I dry off. The only clothing I have that are good are my danner boots and cabelas rush creek jacket which I think would be considered a outer layer? So keep the info coming really appreciate it.

I used cabelas base layers for years but switched to smart wool merino wool baselayers. Much warmer.

I started off buying scent free base layers, which were pricey at close to $50 per piece. Now I use hiking base layers that wick away the moisture. I could care less about the scent control because I can control that best with the wind, but what I've learned to really appreciate is the ability to get the moisture off and keep my body cooler/dryer when I'm hiking.

I bought base layers from Sportsmans Warehouse that were NOT with the hunting stuff. I have a couple different thicknesses, but these are closer to $20-25 per piece (half the price of scent free stuff).

Great info guys looking at kuiu,first lite,Sitka or higher end cabelas gear but if anyone has try different brands would like to hear experience. Also right now all I have is cabelas long sleeve t shirts and pants that are 100% cotton, early in the morning when hunting pants get soak due to condensation on grass ect t shirt gets cover in sweat and they take for ever to dry and this creates a big problem when I glass at first light because I'm shaking in till I dry off. The only clothing I have that are good are my danner boots and cabelas rush creek jacket which I think would be considered a outer layer? So keep the info coming really appreciate it.

I have tried a lot of brands and there are a lot of good ones so I wouldn't get hung up on the names. Also may want to look at Kryptek & Core 4. I have seen some good deals on their stuff, the core 4 stuff I have is probably the best deal I have and great well thought out gear. I love Kuiu's pants, gloves, and rain gear, First light sweaters, Sitka is the one I haven't really tried.

No matter how cool and stylish it is make sure it is comfortable. You will find yourself always grabbing what is most comfortable once you quit caring about the logos. I have some great gear I don't wear much because it just doesn't feel great compared to some of my other stuff.

Check out Eddie Bauer guide pants. A touch lighter than the attack pants but over half the price. A bit stretchy and articulated knees make these my go to pants. Not camo but the tan and grey colors blend good. Camo is overated except if your bowhunting anyways. Material and fit is way more important the any camo. Two layers of merino a 125 weight and a 210 weight with a down puffy jacket and good head cover is about all I use up top. Drys fast except the puffy. If its raining then I have some lightweight stuff for layering over. This is what I use for backpacking and worked well during the storm jan 1st this year. Exofficio underware and darn tough socks and you should be good. Good luck..

I use first lite. Very happy with this stuff. I run the Kanabs with the Allegheny bottoms when it is cold. Up top I wear the Llano as base layer. The Chama Hoody goes over that, followed by their Uncompahgre Puffy. The Puffy is insane. Packs extremely well and keeps me warm. It folds into its own pocket too to make it a pillow. This stuff works all year long for me. Pricey, but worth it to me. Took me awhile to build the system, because of this. If you have never worn merino, you will never go back once you try it out. Kuiu is also VERY good. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Like 1