spooby

Who here likes to catfish??

Haven't been on this site for to long but best forum I've come across. I'm usually in fishing mode right now but sold my boat before my son was born and haven't got around to buying a new one yet. Been saving for my 6a early archery tag!

Used to be big into bass fishing when I was younger but been chasing Flatheads for 6+ years now. Had my guide license but becoming a father pushed that to the side for the time being but plan on guiding someday with my son.

Just curious who all chases catfish when your not out in the woods? What's your biggest cat to date? Anyone fish tournaments as we have 6 or 7 throughout the year?

Here's a couple of my decent cats I've caught in the last couple years.

post-13344-0-07945500-1435037023_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-06875400-1435037038_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-78784200-1435037052_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-49101600-1435037117_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Man!!! I've been after them the last 4 years with no success my biggest is 16pounds I would love to land one over 30 pounds..... I usually fish the upper salt I would love to get a boat and get out on the lake..

These are some good catfish. I can't recall ever catching a flathead. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

I love flathead fishing! Best I've caught with a rod and reel is 28 lbs. Seems I cannot reach the 30lb mark as I have landed several at tho size.

Noodling is a different story. I have landed 2 over 60 lbs in Oklahoma using my hands. That's a big fish😉

What is your bait of choice on those big flat heads

I use the biggest blue gills I can catch. And you don't need a boat to catch these. First and 3rd pic I caught those from shore.

I love chasing big flatheads. Caught a few in the 40s. Haven't broke the 50lb barrier yet, but my buddies have. Two of my buddies have fish over 60 now.

We fish with bluegill and live carp. When I can find love carp that's my favorite bait by far. Catching them small enough is the problem. I like 8-12" carp for flatheading.

I've caught 90% of mine on green ear sunfish. They are soft compared to bluegill and the flatheads seem to prefer them. Small carp are awesome, but difficult to catch.

Carp are easy to catch if you know what to look for. I use carp up to 5 or 6lbs. But what I've learned is they love carp but only certain times of the year. They'll take a gill any day of the year. So I try to fish with both and see what they are interested in at that time.

Here's some more pics. Might just have to go fishing this weekend now. Lol

post-13344-0-72527600-1435076137_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-47515100-1435076149_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-01735400-1435076174.jpg

post-13344-0-42123400-1435076229_thumb.jpg

post-13344-0-48568000-1435076257.jpg

Very nice fish you have there and it takes some know-how to repeat that success. Well done and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

I've caught 90% of mine on green ear sunfish. They are soft compared to bluegill and the flatheads seem to prefer them. Small carp are awesome, but difficult to catch.

You do know there is not such thing as a green eared sunfish right? :rolleyes: I use all panfish, green sunfish, bluegill, redear, tilapia, etc. Anything that is legal. I've found Tilapia to be the best on the lower river were they are legal.