A coues whitetail

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jfowler99

jfowler99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, elk hunting, small game and bird hunting, hiking and family
ok so this may be a dumb question. but..... so im originally from the midwest. We have whitetail deer. I hVe never heard the term coues whitetail before. What is a coues whitetail? And im ready for any backlash lol.
The devil whispers "You cannot withstand the storm." The warrior replies "I AM the storm!"

#2 Big Browns

Big Browns

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing, Glassing and spending time with my wife and kids.

A Coues Whitetail is a smaller sub-species of the common Eastern Whitetail

#3 ready2hunt

ready2hunt

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family & Firearms

Boom it's as simple as that. They are called the grey ghost because as EVERYONE who has hunted them will tell you- they disappear. 

How many of us have glassed a hillside for HOURS and been 100% certain there are no deer only to see a whole herd pop out between 4-5pm. You've been there-

"Fight 'em till hel* freezes over then fight 'em on the ice" -Dutch Meyers TCU

"Hey" - Sy Roberston: Duck Dynasty

#4 oz31p

oz31p

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
http://www.westernwh...oues-whitetail/

Boom it's as simple as that. They are called the grey ghost because as EVERYONE who has hunted them will tell you- they disappear. 

How many of us have glassed a hillside for HOURS and been 100% certain there are no deer only to see a whole herd pop out between 4-5pm. You've been there-
lol they have to be spotted before they can disappear.

"Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skinned?"

Genesis 27:3   Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

#5 IA Born

IA Born

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, camping with my family, hunting, fishing (espeically fly fishing), fire ecology, wildlife photography, reloading, archery

I'm originally from the midwest, too.  The first time I showed my dad Coues whitetail does (mature does, by the way) when he was down visiting, he was all excited to see yearling deer up close.  I had to point out they were mature does.  That's how much smaller they are than our midwestern whitetails!

And don't even ask about scoring them out here vs scoring them back in the Midwest.  You're likely to get more backlash than you'll ever want!   ;)  :P

The more people I meet, the more I like rattlesnakes!

#6 AZ_SAWBUCK

AZ_SAWBUCK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

N-They are the coolest Deer Ever!

"We'll ride that 1 when we get to it"

#7 SunDevil

SunDevil

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • Interests:the ocean (the beach, deep sea fishing, etc)

poor man sheep hunting.  they are most definitely a whitetail deer and have many characteristics/behaviors similar to eastern whitetails.

ADOPTION IS THE OPTION!!!

#8 AzPlumber

AzPlumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

If you plan to hunt them, leave your midwest tactics back home. Pick up a quality pair of binos, a tripod, a butt cushion and boots that fit well.

#9 jfowler99

jfowler99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, elk hunting, small game and bird hunting, hiking and family
Thanks guys. been great help. im going to be putting in for deer this year for the first time. it will be a blast.
The devil whispers "You cannot withstand the storm." The warrior replies "I AM the storm!"

#10 jfowler99

jfowler99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks guys. been great help. im going to be putting in for deer this year for the first time. it will be a blast.

#11 PRDATR

PRDATR

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

There are probably 40 plus subspecies of Whitetails, Coues are only found in AZ, NM and Mexico but there are Whitetails of similar size in South America.

Fun to hunt because they adapt so well to different terrain from desert to alpine, not very big and most bucks are 90-110 pounds and stand about 36" at the shoulder and about the same from chest to butt.

All over Az in the big red truck

#12 Zeke-BE

Zeke-BE

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:A lot of everything. I'm a mile wide and a inch deep, but hunting has been the only thing that is consistent in my life.

Good Luck!  Welcome to real hunting!!!  :)

#13 300RUM

300RUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Exploring the outdoors

There are probably 40 plus subspecies of Whitetails, Coues are only found in AZ, NM and Mexico but there are Whitetails of similar size in South America.

Fun to hunt because they adapt so well to different terrain from desert to alpine, not very big and most bucks are 90-110 pounds and stand about 36" at the shoulder and about the same from chest to butt.

There is an up side to their small size. They tend to inhabit some foul terrain and it makes packing them out easier. Evolution at it's finest.

#14 wildwoody

wildwoody

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts
  • Interests:hunting , fishing, outdoor sports, and helping others

They fast..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users