Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Boating 101 small v hull

Just found a really good deal so I bought a small V Hull boat and have a few simple dump questions. Ive been a shore bait fisherman for the kids and a recent fly fisherman. Hoping to get my kids out more, and need to figure this all out.

Where would you recommend east valley to take a 5 hp Honda (4 stroke) and a 18 hp Evinrude (2 stroke) to get serviced or just looked over?

Batteries, it came with 2 deep cycle batteries and a charger. Do I need to keep these on a trickle charge to keep them going? Or can I just throw on a charger once a month?

Anyone have any knowledge of small outboard motors? Need to know how to transport them, laying down in truck? On boat? Locking them in place? Starting them up? Storage?

Looking to buy a Binimi Top? Where to buy? Brands for quality?

Edit:

It says its a 4 person or 590lbs, would 2 Adults 4 kids that all weigh 525 lbs be ok or do they go on the person count?

Thanks in advance

post-2686-0-56642400-1529254144_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-07438900-1529254181_thumb.jpeg

The 5 hrs looks bad I'll take it.lol

Deal if it is bad Ill sell it to you!

• Like 1

GF will go by rated persons capacity. I don't think they will let you put two kids to one adult conversion factor in play. Make sure you get life jackets that FIT the kids! They will outgrow them yes, but snug fit is a must.

Store the motors like you have them, always run the gas out for prolonged storage, and always start with water to them or you will ruin your impellers. They will be fine on the transom when trailering, I had a shift lever get broken from laying in a truck bed and hitting one too many bumps. JBWeld to the rescue, but the motor was ugly after that.

• Like 1

Just charge them and check them once a month. You can charge them the day or to before you need them. Did you get a trolling motor too?

• Like 1

Ok, yea I just didnt know if I stayed under the 590lbs it would satisfy the requirement since it says or. I agree with the life vest, it came with 5 really nice ones but Ill need to buy 2 more just so the sizes fit correctly. Thats one thing I told myself is a must, making sure they all fit snug.

On the motor on the transom, is there supposed to be a locking mechanism to where it wont flop side to side? I see that it locks up and down.

Yes it did come with a trolling motor. Good to know about the batteries, I might buy a battery tender if you guys think its worth it?

post-2686-0-99971400-1529258510_thumb.jpeg

Do not store or transport the Honda flat: these motors don't do well when oil is above the pistons. Mine ceased up. You may want to learn to service them yourself as boat mechanics charge about $100/hr. There are no more boat places in Tucson but in east Px area, I would be tempted to try BassPro. Use alcohol free gas if you can find it. Don't leave fuel sitting in the carbs -- run it out and drain the carbs. Don't use old gas. Check water in batteries often if you leave the trickle charger on them. For the people load, they use an average of 150 lb. All the adult males in my family are all closer to double that. Certainly stay under the weight capacity for people for safety sake. The numbers thing is only important if you get stopped by G&F and get lippy or otherwise tick them off. The motors do not lock for rotation -- bungee them. For up and down, they may bounce and it is hard on the transom. Get a transom saver. Also, get the tires checked -- no more than 3 or 4 yrs old and get the bearings checked and grease repacked.

• Like 1

I have an 8HP Yamaha and made the mistake once of transporting flat. Now I always run dry and transport vertically resulting in first or second pull starts every time. Have fun.

• Like 1

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and tips. The bungee is a great idea! I just googled the transom savor, Ill be ordering tonight when I figure out the one I need. Tires are newer but that reminds me to check the dates.

The one the the original owner did tell me was to keep the Honda upright, good to know that you guys advise the same.

Discount says 3 yrs o n trailer tires ... flat spots from sitting so long and UV exposure. On our travel trailer at 5yrs showed not checking and were prechecked by Discount, I had TWO blowouts coming back from Texas with a fair bit of trailer damage. For my little boat tires, they get few miles but the weather checking is bad after a few yrs. Now I cover all my trailer tires and lift the trailers off the ground.

• Like 1

A battery tender, that brand specifically, is worth it. Think of it as a smart charger. Even a trickle charger can cook a battery.

• Like 1

Might want to get a two bank Dual Pro or at least a good quality boat battery charger. You wire it up to both batteries and plug it in and leave it. They will not overcharge and it will always be ready to go.

• Like 1

Lots of great stuff in this thread already but I'll add to it and agree with a few things.

Along with Big Tub, I strongly recommend learning these motors in and out yourself, starting with the maintenance you need today. You will want more than a Fuel-Air-Spark knowledge base if you're ever stuck on the water. Older motors only having 1-2 carburetors are relatively easy to understand.

Draining gas for long term storage definitely removes the possibility of gumming up your carbs, but it can also wear down plastics. Boat mechanics also have told me that the last bit of fuel that burns in the cylinders (your 18HP 2-stroke) doesn't always provide enough lubrication. This isn't much to worry about if you let the motor die at idle, but NEVER rush the motor out of fuel using throttle. I run STA-BIL mixed in the fuel during the seasons of intermittent use, don't run the fuel out, and break down my carbs every few years for $15 per. This is when I inspect the entire fuel supply as well.

Battery charging and maintenance is key to their longevity and performance. I always charge the night before I leave and as soon as I get home. I also have a DualPro charger as mentioned above and it is something I wouldn't be without, but it really shines when you are running 2-3 batteries and/or multi-day fishing trips. One battery is easy enough to put on/off a good charger, but with my three bank, two trolling motor batteries and one starter battery are always optimally charged within a few hours on a single AC plug. I've been getting 5-7 years out of my batteries easily boating 30+ days/year.

Other maintenance recommendations:

Change the impeller every 2 years regardless of use, some guys do it every year. Always make sure the motor is pissin' water out of the tell-tale and never run a motor that isn't. Insects can plug that hole too.

Never run a motor with a leaking carburetor, leaning out the fuel with air can turn good cylinders into trash without effort.

Have an extra prop, a bailing device and a boat toolkit on hand.

There are good bimini tops on Amazon, $100-140, sold by the width of your boat. I waited way too long to get one myself, they are gold and will keep you on the water longer waiting for the next bite.

BOATs can definitely break out another thousand but if you are willing to understand that and think preventative, it doesn't have to be that way, especially on a modest setup like you've acquired. Congratulations and best of luck.