Zeke-BE

How Die Hard Of A Hunter are you??

for me depends on the year a few years ago i hunted a total of 6 weeks, last year i spent 17 days up elk hunting 3 days deer hunting and a couple days on her elk hunt and leading up to that i was in the woods every weekend and the wife and kids where in tow.  this year only gonna be like a 3-4 next year maybe a 8-9. 

I spend a LOT of days hunting, but I am far from "hard core". In my old age I have grown quite fond of being "comfortable" with my trailer and other modern niceties. The collateral damage to having the comfort is that I "have" to take the kids with me most of the time and I "get" to have the wife go as well. More often than not though she stays at home though. As long as I take one of the kids she doesn't care if I am gone the entire year......

Once I get out in the field I do pride myself on doing things "right". I try to make the hunt enjoyable for everyone. For me, killing an animal is second in importance to enjoying the experience.

• Like 2

I would probably be a 3- 4. I’m newbie hunter right now and so far I have more of an experience in hog hunting in Oklahoma. But I’m constantly studying my hunt, scouting and trying out new guns that would work well for me. Right now, I’m pretty interested in deer hunting to expand my experience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SamShooter said:

I would probably be a 3- 4. I’m newbie hunter right now and so far I have more of an experience in hog hunting in Oklahoma. But I’m constantly studying my hunt, scouting and trying out new guns that would work well for me. Right now, I’m pretty interested in deer hunting to expand my experience.

Sam are you still back east or are you here in AZ?

6 hours ago, SamShooter said:

Where in OK? I did some turkey hunting this past spring near Waurika. Had a shot at a hog but missed.

I'm in a fun but challenging process of showing my 13 year old son (trades of the rifleman )... the shooting, woodsman-ship, hunting and the outdoors....  making sure that he's covered and comfortable  (School, binos, boots, etc....) answering his questions... that a teenager goes through.... and like with all millennial taking a two step forward and one step back...

Just having fun and listening, and trying to be his Dad and Friend...... instead of accomplishing the task... you have to put success on the side, for a good time out and lots of laughs and his smiles

Going back to the basics that we all learned one time or another with the hope that we gain one more hunter and probably anther hunting buddy

Probably at this point 3-4 but we'll get back to the 6-7

• Like 1

The question could be , How GOOD of a hunter are you.  You could be a Hunting fool Spend a ton of time and $ hunting and still might not be worth a chit as a hunter. Just sayin. There are some people like that................BOB!

21 minutes ago, naturebob said:

The question could be , How GOOD of a hunter are you.  You could be a Hunting fool Spend a ton of time and $ hunting and still might not be worth a chit as a hunter. Just sayin. There are some people like that................BOB!

I'm out there a lot and I'm the worst 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, naturebob said:

The question could be , How GOOD of a hunter are you.  You could be a Hunting fool Spend a ton of time and $ hunting and still might not be worth a chit as a hunter. Just sayin. There are some people like that................BOB!

Wondering how you define "GOOD"??     Someone who kills big things?  Someone who kills a lot of things?  Someone who bow hunts?  With a recurve?  Someone who can kill something from 800 yards?   Someone who can 'Rambo' to within 20 yards?  5 yards?  (All of these questions are of course, rhetorical...) 

I'm a hunting fool, I suppose.  Just want to get out with friends and especially my kids as much as possible.  Makes me feel "good". ;)

S.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, naturebob said:

Good Point naturbob!  Let me be clear i guess. Example---  I could be a die hard basketball player/ fan.  I watch it on tv, I go to the games, I learn of the players, I watch youtube to practice my crossover, I walk to the park everyday to practice my free throws and play on a Saturday league team.  But by no means am I the number one pick or never made it on highschool team.  I just lover the game.

Hope that answers it

hard to the core?  if it's not fun  it doesn't git dun.

glassing winter range bulls in jan/feb temp zero winds 35.

climbing an altar valley peak in the dark when it's 85f/80%h just to look at velvet bucks at dawn.

getting up at 3am to glass bulls for two weeks straight b4 archery bull and going to work every day.

driving 5 hours in the dark, sleeping 2 hours in frozen pickup just to hunt last day of december coues for an hour.

i had some fun.  not too much success with tags.

lee

• Like 2

Zebe BE ,What ever you say I don't think your post was funny or made much sense. Apparently Your mocking me from a previous post I must have made about Basketball.. Whatever gets your fancy ,spit it out.. I did not Mock or knock anybody in my post about hunting , just stated a true fact..............BOB!

7 hours ago, naturebob said:

Zebe BE ,What ever you say I don't think your post was funny or made much sense. Apparently Your mocking me from a previous post I must have made about Basketball.. Whatever gets your fancy ,spit it out.. I did not Mock or knock anybody in my post about hunting , just stated a true fact..............BOB!

I guess we are both confused Bob or just me and not understanding your question right.  You asked The question could be , How GOOD of a hunter are you.   All I asking how die hard people think they are not how good of a hunter/ stalker/ killer they are.    I was giving an example about some one might love basketball like someone loves hunting.  Even if their not that good they love it and practice and indulge in it all the time.  I don't think Im a pro hunter by all means.  Just a glorified weekend warrior hunter who thats rates himself as a 4-5 scale as how die hard I think i am.  But yes If i rated myself like you said as a good hunter I would guess 4-5 as well.  

Im not sure where it sounded like I was mocking you Bob.  That wasn't my intent, I apologize if that's how it came across.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

I guess we are both confused Bob or just me and not understanding your question right.  You asked The question could be , How GOOD of a hunter are you.   All I asking how die hard people think they are not how good of a hunter/ stalker/ killer they are.    I was giving an example about some one might love basketball like someone loves hunting.  Even if their not that good they love it and practice and indulge in it all the time.  I don't think Im a pro hunter by all means.  Just a glorified weekend warrior hunter who thats rates himself as a 4-5 scale as how die hard I think i am.  But yes If i rated myself like you said as a good hunter I would guess 4-5 as well.  

Im not sure where it sounded like I was mocking you Bob.  That wasn't my intent, I apologize if that's how it came across.  

BDCB8006-08EF-4D11-A88B-A81B0CD06983.gif

• Like 4