Zeke-BE

How Die Hard Of A Hunter are you??

7 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

Been married 14 years.  Wife puts up with it.  Early on it was a fight, and now that Im more established in life I make lot more $.  So for years every time I go out she would through the guilt trip on.  Now that I do better in life, I told her to drop the guilt/ complaining and I give her 100 bucks a night that Im gone.  I now usually hold on to all my cash jobs and just save it for hunting gear and days Im gone.  Now she gets all excited when I leave for 3 nights.  She knows she has 300 bones to go clothes shopping with.  :)  

I love that idea!!! I’m either guilt tripped when I leave or when I get back. It’s been 12 years together for us. It was great at the beginning. She’d go with me. Then 3 years in I caught crap. Year 5 she realized I’m not going to quit hunting so no further arguments but still her disappointment. The past two years I’m good to do whatever. But I love the shopping idea. It’ll give her an incentive to like hunting haha!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, 10Turkeys said:

Most of the guys that I know that live in the woods are divorced and unemployed.

independently wealthy enough to hunt whenever they want and no old lady like zbars giving away their antlers. thats living the dream

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oz31p said:

I don’t know...I was thumbing through some old picture books at corner archery a few weeks ago. You’re  on every other page. 

I used to shoot 300-500 arrows a week.  Then the political side of competitive archery really chapped my butt with the cheating that went on in an "honor system" sport where 70% of the top competitors have no honor.  And if you get paired with them and are not in their clique, you get screwed whether you beat them or not, and then get accused of cheating by them when you don't shoot with them.  Even with honest competitors vouching for you.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I used to shoot 300-500 arrows a week.  Then the political side of competitive archery really chapped my butt with the cheating that went on in an "honor system" sport where 70% of the top competitors have no honor.  And if you get paired with them and are not in their clique, you get screwed whether you beat them or not, and then get accused of cheating by them when you don't shoot with them.  Even with honest competitors vouching for you.  

The animal books too. I don’t think most people really know that your a very accomplished bow hunter. 

51 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I knew you did alot of bow hunting back in the day but I didn't know why you stop.  Thats crazy

On 9/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, ZBAR said:

While out on my muley bow hunt last week I got pictures from my wife of my prized elk rack with a sign that said "free" on them. She said she was putting them on the curb. No joke. So, with that kind of push back from your spouse it's pretty hard to be hard core. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

I knew you did alot of bow hunting back in the day but I didn't know why you stop.  Thats crazy

I still bowhunt.  But the reason I do not do it as much, is I spend a lot of time hunting with family now, and none of them want to hunt as hard as I used to.  Last archery buck I killed was 2013.  But I had a rifle deer in 2012, 2014, and had deer hunts with Taylor in 2015 & 2016, and at least 1 elk hunt in the family for the past 6 years I concentrated on.  Last year I spent a ton of time scouting for my long awaited elk hunt, but carried my bow around during the early, and late archery deer seasons a lot.  Almost shot a couple different bucks while I was working across the state in December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

independently wealthy enough to hunt whenever they want and no old lady like zbars giving away their antlers. thats living the dream

I don't know anyone that is independently wealthy. The one guy that I know that lives in the woods, was kicked to the curb by his ex wife long ago, and his employment last long enough to fund his next trip.

Man....i must have a pretty good woman. I don’t have to pay her off, she doesn’t try to sell my antlers and no guilt trips. I also hold down a good job and basically “live in the woods” Must be an anomaly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Man....i must have a pretty good woman. I don’t have to pay her off, she doesn’t try to sell my antlers and no guilt trips. I also hold down a good job and basically “live in the woods” Must be an anomaly. 

I hope it’s not an anomaly, Been married for 15 years myself. Never had an issue while hunting, scouting, fishing. 

A 12 in my mind and on the internet forums, lol. 3-4 in reality. 5-6 in some good years. I do more single day varmint hunts to get my hunting fix over a longer period of time throughout the year. I'm not dedicated(scouting, spending the money on top notch optics, etc) as I'd like to be. Life just seems so busy all the time. But I'm happy so no complaints.      

• Like 1

My wife has always supported the outdoor life. I use to hunt alot more than I do now. The hunts are almost a chore anymore I much prefer being on the front of my bass boat fishing. 

6 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

My wife just loves me to much and doesn't want me away from her :)