Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Fossil Hunting

I took my wife looking for fossils today.  We found a new spot that had thousands of small shell fossils.  I've come to really enjoy fossil hunting, because it's relaxing and fun finding new things in the woods.  

These were found on the control road about 2 miles in from the 260 entrance on the south side.   If anyone has any good fossil spots I would love to get the location.  

20180923_084652.jpg

20180923_083235.jpg

20180923_083220.jpg

20180923_083124.jpg

20180923_110134.jpg

20180923_084704.jpg

• Like 3

I am totally into fossils too!  There are many marine fossils in the limestone cliffs along the drive between Globe and Winkelman.  The ones I see are still completely in the limestone, not very many that are loose like the ones you found.  

I attached some pics of ones I have found.  

also, here is a website that lists many sites

http://www.t-rat.com/Pages/WhereToFindFossils.html

2018-01-09 15.40.36.jpg

2017-01-17 00.49.15.jpg

2017-01-15 00.36.37.jpg

2017-01-14 17.28.11.jpg

2016-11-20 15.57.41.jpg

2017-01-14 02.53.45.jpg

2017-01-14 02.05.20.jpg

• Like 5

Those are cool

You want to find some really cool ones goto the west side of 12b west where the  pines meet the scrubs/grass and sage. (mainly where is rocky.

they are all over in tact in bedded in huge boulders and stone. once my kid saw her 1st one it took us 3 hours to walk back to the truck which was like a 5 min walk to begin with. amazing what they can see being so short to the ground ;)

1st fossil I ever found was in 2000 right where I parked my truck at the same camp in 12 west since 82 every archery season and rifle deer season and everytime we went grouse/turkey or varmit hunting.

oldest daughter goes dad I wanna look for fossils I told her good luck Ive never seen one in my life. she does that 11 year old whining lets go fossil hunting. I look at the ground reach down pick up a trilobite (sp) and say here you go lets go deer hunting now.. craziest thing ever. sitting right next to my feet in plain daylight about 4 x 6". I have a pic somewhere ill ry to dig it out

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

33 minutes ago, Delw said:

Those are cool

You want to find some really cool ones goto the west side of 12b west where the  pines meet the scrubs/grass and sage. (mainly where is rocky.

they are all over in tact in bedded in huge boulders and stone. once my kid saw her 1st one it took us 3 hours to walk back to the truck which was like a 5 min walk to begin with. amazing what they can see being so short to the ground ;)

1st fossil I ever found was in 2000 right where I parked my truck at the same camp in 12 west since 82 every archery season and rifle deer season and everytime we went grouse/turkey or varmit hunting.

oldest daughter goes dad I wanna look for fossils I told her good luck Ive never seen one in my life. she does that 11 year old whining lets go fossil hunting. I look at the ground reach down pick up a trilobite (sp) and say here you go lets go deer hunting now.. craziest thing ever. sitting right next to my feet in plain daylight about 4 x 6". I have a pic somewhere ill ry to dig it out

I have yet to find a trilobite!  Great story!

Adam, I have a shell just like the one you show in the first picture that I found up in Unit 10. I also have found some snail shells in the same gray rock that Amanda posted just west of Pinto Mine.

I told you anytime, thousands of small perfect clams , anytime just let me no. You drive right by me.. Lol

• Like 1

Aint nobody got time for that!!!!

Well, maybe those who can see things that tiny on the ground.. Sadly, I'm not one of those people. Pretty cool though.

The coolest thing I've found was a sharks tooth.

It was about a day down in the Peppersauce cave on Mount Lemon.  Took a nap in a little overhang and woke up. Flipped on the light. There it was.

Never been able to beat that one..

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

30 minutes ago, Jazz said:

It was about a day down in the Peppersauce cave on Mount Lemon.  Took a nap in a little overhang and woke up. Flipped on the light. There it was.

That's awesome!  I would love to find something like that.  

On 9/26/2018 at 10:27 AM, Jazz said:

That would be cool.

1 hour ago, Big Browns said:

Lets see some pics.

I'll snap one tonight of the trilobite  with the celphone and upload tomorrow morning when t work. Some odd reason home pc doesnt see this site nor does celphone on wifi. work I have no problem

1 hour ago, Heat said:

All over the Kaibab!  I found pieces of an ice age era tortoise near Yuma.

Yup were it flattens out. you can walk the roads and see them on the bigs rocks. they look like what amanda posted. we didnt find any shells just the marking in the sandy type rocks. Daughter I and a friend tried to dig one of the good ones that had many of them in it out. but we soon realized the rock would need a forklift to get out..

if you take the road to bypass jacob lake and goto ferdonia you can get out almost anywhere where the rock hills goto the flats and see them. I forget the road number its one of the major dirt roads

heres some pics of the EXACT Spot. thats on the 12bwest boarding 12a

just guessing but I think the rocky area was the shore way back then or a depth were the shell creatures lived or dried up. the trilliobite was on top  about 6miles south of jacobs lake in the forrest over looking a small canyon. pics also included but you'll have to figure that one out ;)

exact1.jpg

exact2.jpg

trillobite.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1