Sign in to follow this  
ndaniel

What would it take?

Since archery season is starting up pretty soon here I've been asking myself what it would take for me to blow my early November coues tag. Since I live in mule deer county I keep telling myself that a 160"+ mule deer would do, but then again I still have that disappointed feeling in my gut of not being able to hunt down south for my rifle coues tag. Darn those coues deer!

So I guess my question is, when archery hunting what would it take for you to blow your rifle coues deer tag?

Nate

Since archery season is starting up pretty soon here I've been asking myself what it would take for me to blow my early November coues tag. Since I live in mule deer county I keep telling myself that a 160"+ mule deer would do, but then again I still have that disappointed feeling in my gut of not being able to hunt down south for my rifle coues tag. Darn those coues deer!

So I guess my question is, when archery hunting what would it take for you to blow your rifle coues deer tag?

Nate

170" plus mule deer!

Its pretty hard to pass on a buck during bow season. I live by the philosophy, if you have to think about the size of the animal your drawing on, then its best not to shoot. A 160" buck is still a very nice one these days.

Since I havent harvested a deer with my bow yet it would take a decent 3 point or any 4 point muley. As far as coues go it will have to be any 3 point or good 2 point.

It's Up to you Bud

But I do not have a buck I would shoot now or in 3 weeks (edit, Cam Picks)

to take away from my Oct> hunt

Maybe you do but I don't.

I have said for years if I took a velvet Buck

It would be typical not Nontypical

Just my $.02

Coues: Any buck that stands there and watches my arrow fly into his kill zone.

Muley: 3pt or better that stands there and lets me fling an arrow at him.

Last year, I had 8 different muley bucks stand there and look at me with bow in hand. All were semi decent bucks too. go figure what happens when you have your first choice tag!

Looks like you're in Flagstaff? There are still coues near there. I would archery hunt now, you may run into a buck you'd gladly take in Nov. :lol:

Since you can draw a coues tag every year, I wouldn't be too picky with a mulie. If I see a 2 yo+ buck, I'll eat my WT tag.

Since you've never killed a buck with a bow, I'd have to say that any buck that comes into range is worth forfeiting a tag in November.

i say shoot whatever you get a chance at... the deer gods dont seem to like it too much when you pass on a buck for the chance at a bigger buck! Be caereful and dont piss them off! otherwise you wont see a deer at all with your coues tag...

Nate, I have a primo Dec tag but the first buck to stand within 50 yds in front of my bow is getting an arrow. I havent taken one with my bow so at this point size don't matter.

I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that I enjoy hunting coues a lot more than I do mule deer. SO if I am going to shoot a mule deer I'd want it to be SOMEWHAT respectable. To each their own, I'd pass on a spike, forky or a small 2 point with my bow to be able to hunt coues in November, but that's just me. These coues have me addicted, and not being able to hunt one because I stuck a forky/spike muley in August would eat me up, BUT then again it is a deer with a bow.

Just thought I'd throw it out and see what everyone else would do with the given situation.

i say shoot whatever you get a chance at... the deer gods dont seem to like it too much when you pass on a buck for the chance at a bigger buck! Be caereful and dont piss them off! otherwise you wont see a deer at all with your coues tag...

Totally! I passed up a screwed up buck two years ago opening day, he was a huge five by one! a large dagger grew out of one side it was wild! Anyway I passed on him and then never saw another buck the whole season!

If it were my first bowkill, I would shoot at anything 3x3 or larger. Today it would take 171 or bigger I guess. ;)

Coues: Any buck that stands there and watches my arrow fly into his kill zone.

Muley: 3pt or better that stands there and lets me fling an arrow at him.

Last year, I had 8 different muley bucks stand there and look at me with bow in hand. All were semi decent bucks too. go figure what happens when you have your first choice tag!

Same here. We should have a good time. :)