Delw

.338 lapua what happened?

Remember the Rage with the .338 Lapua . what happened? you dont see them talked about anymore. was it the Recoil that got to the bitch biscuit crowed? Ive shot them with and with out a brake with out is a tad warm and with is loud as heck just as any rifle with a brake.

I brought this up after seeing the 2 for sale today in the for sale section, I had forgot all about them. but am curious as to why they quietly went away.

Not sure for most guys.   I have an 11# 338 lapua w/o a brake.   It's a weatherby Mark IV 300 weatherby converted to a 338 lapua.   To say that this cartridge is a different beast is an understatement.   It takes a bit to get used to the new level of noise and the recoil is in a different league even on a lead sled.    I think the biggest reason this cartridge didn't blossom is due to the fact that there is little practical use for this round in most hunting applications.   Basically big bear and Africa would be the only use for this round.   It is overkill for elk/moose.   So, I don't shoot mine much because of the limited use.   Maybe I'm just a sissy too.   Could be either or both.   

• Like 1

I have a savage lrh .338 lapua that is an absolute tack driver. It comes out of the safe every couple years for an elk hunt. They are expensive to load and not much fun to shoot but they absolutely hammer elk. Brass is $3 each, bullets are 1$ each and they hold $1 worth of powder. 

• Like 4

Lack of availability in components to make one go bang probably has a lot to do with it right now. All the powders that are a great combo for this caliber are very hard to find and when you do find it, it costs three times as much as it should. Probably makes a lot of folks ask themselves if they really need it. 

• Like 1

It's still out there for 1000 yard target shooters but the new 300 Norma is gaining popularity with the Long Range shooters. It's the same head diameter so the bolt for the 338 will work for the 300 Norma. A lot less recoil and super accurate! Price of components is not a big issue as is availability. 

Even when you reload it’s still expensive 😊, I wrote my comment and then read all the other post. 

4 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats right I forgot about the loading cost. 

Hey this is a great thread, great example to other members on here not how to run down someone’s eles post, but yet to ask in another post 😊 👍

26 minutes ago, Vowell said:

Hey this is a great thread, great example to other members on here not how to run down someone’s eles post, but yet to ask in another post 😊 👍

I wasnt trying to run down any thread. I happened to see that savage and I'm like Crap why dont we hear about them anymore and couldnt it be next month since Levers Bought that 38/357 lever gun in under an hour. That savage is a pretty nice gun in the 338 Lapua, I havent shot the ruger but didnt really like the ruger version.

I have a few guns on my bucket list(so to speak) I need to get yet, one a 338 laupa ,another 50bmg and a few lever guns in pistol cal's. Then I think I am done lol. I even had thoughts when I saw the add to sell my bushmaster shorty from when bushmaster very 1st came out with that style (early 90's late 80's) its never had a round cycled through it.

not very many guns that give me wood anymore ;)

• Like 1

I guess I did mean to say run down, my poor choice of wording 😊.  I agree that savage is a great deal for anyone looking, it’s definitely a lot of gun, great bear round. I had one in the HS precision model and just never got around to shooting it. After reloading for a buddy of mine I just didn’t want to mess with it after seeing the cost of all the components including the powder. 
I’ve been toying around about getting a 50 bmg, but the reality of hunting and having a good back stop for the projectile scares me. 

58 minutes ago, vitalzone said:

.300 PRC Happened

I don't  know anyone who has one and uses it for hunting it is pretty obscure and certainly wasn't even remotely a possibile cause. It just rans it's course in the hunting community.