GRONG

Coueskiller harvests a brute........

Well I'm back now and thanks to all of you for the kind comments. Here is a lil tid bit on the hunt. I have been scouting every weekend since the first of May and I mean EVERY weekend, my honey hole wasn't producing anything but small bucks. I searched and found a few other places to hunt but everywhere I went it seemed there were other people around. Up until about 10 days before the strat of the hunt I didn't have a pic of a buck over 90" and I was stressing out big time because I know the area holds some great deer, then I pulled the SD card out of the cam at the old honey hole and low and behold this buck was on there, not once, twice but 3 differernt days. Man I was stoked to say the least! I couldn't get out of town early enough on Thursday to go check my camera and when I got there I was in disbelief........... only about 10 deer pics since the weekend and only 2 small 2pt. bucks, no big boy. Well this late in the game I had no options but to sit the stand in hopes that the big buck would show up again sometime. Josh and I were a few minutes late to the stand opening morning and jumped a couple of coues deer just a hundered yrds or so from the stand. We then climbed up into our stands to see what would show. We didn't see much of anyting early, a few turkey and birds no deer. Well at abot 8:40 Am I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a buck walking towards us, Josh whispered"You got him?" and I noded that I did. He cleared the juniper and I couldn't believe it, IT WAS HIM at 30yds!! Josh had the camera rolling and we were both having a hard time keeping it together as the buck approached, he was is the blaze open and I wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off. Well luck have it he put his head down just enough for me to grab my bow and draw on the buck that was now 18yds below us. As I came to full draw my bow let out a tiny squeak that got the bucks attention and he then stopped and turned giving me a perfect shot. I relaeased and we watched the arrow blow thru the deer with a near perfect shot! He spun and bolted and we could see the blood pumping and knew the shot was as good as we thought! Man we were celebrating like a couple of teenage boys, high fives and OH MY GODS and a bad case of the shakey knees! We waited a bit and climbed down to find the arrow and inspect the crime scene. Everything looked good and we followed the blood trail about 150 - 200 yds and found the buck piled up!!! I feel very lucky to have this all work out and end the way it did, shooting the only buck that I had seen it the area this year that I wanted to take, guess it was meant to be and a moment that will be burned in my mind forever! I want to thank Josh Epperson and Darren Choate for all the help with the pics, video and help hauling the buck out, you guys are truly great friends and I am glad to have shared that beautiful early fall with the two of you, you guys are both first class!

Well I'm back now and thanks to all of you for the kind comments. Here is a lil tid bit on the hunt. I have been scouting every weekend since the first of May and I mean EVERY weekend, my honey hole wasn't producing anything but small bucks. I searched and found a few other places to hunt but everywhere I went it seemed there were other people around. Up until about 10 days before the strat of the hunt I didn't have a pic of a buck over 90" and I was stressing out big time because I know the area holds some great deer, then I pulled the SD card out of the cam at the old honey hole and low and behold this buck was on there, not once, twice but 3 differernt days. Man I was stoked to say the least! I couldn't get out of town early enough on Thursday to go check my camera and when I got there I was in disbelief........... only about 10 deer pics since the weekend and only 2 small 2pt. bucks, no big boy. Well this late in the game I had no options but to sit the stand in hopes that the big buck would show up again sometime. Josh and I were a few minutes late to the stand opening morning and jumped a couple of coues deer just a hundered yrds or so from the stand. We then climbed up into our stands to see what would show. We didn't see much of anyting early, a few turkey and birds no deer. Well at abot 8:40 Am I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a buck walking towards us, Josh whispered"You got him?" and I noded that I did. He cleared the juniper and I couldn't believe it, IT WAS HIM at 30yds!! Josh had the camera rolling and we were both having a hard time keeping it together as the buck approached, he was is the blaze open and I wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off. Well luck have it he put his head down just enough for me to grab my bow and draw on the buck that was now 18yds below us. As I came to full draw my bow let out a tiny squeak that got the bucks attention and he then stopped and turned giving me a perfect shot. I relaeased and we watched the arrow blow thru the deer with a near perfect shot! He spun and bolted and we could see the blood pumping and knew the shot was as good as we thought! Man we were celebrating like a couple of teenage boys, high fives and OH MY GODS and a bad case of the shakey knees! We waited a bit and climbed down to find the arrow and inspect the crime scene. Everything looked good and we followed the blood trail about 150 - 200 yds and found the buck piled up!!! I feel very lucky to have this all work out and end the way it did, shooting the only buck that I had seen it the area this year that I wanted to take, guess it was meant to be and a moment that will be burned in my mind forever! I want to thank Josh Epperson and Darren Choate for all the help with the pics, video and help hauling the buck out, you guys are truly great friends and I am glad to have shared that beautiful early fall with the two of you, you guys are both first class!

Geoff,

Anytime! Congrats Again!!!

I think you should change your name to COUESKILLINGMACHINEONOPENINGDAYEVERYYEAR!

You might have a career in the ministry Geoff. Well stated. Nothing better than having your closest people around to share these types of events you are a blessed person.

AMEN!

If killing one of the biggest archery coues ever killed on video, opening day, that you have pics of is your idea of a good time well then congrats to you I guess. As for me I enjoyed a wonderful weekend at home with my wife and daughter!

HOLY S*&%@........ MOTHER &%@&....... WHAT THE @^$*!!!

Ok I'm back, sorry about that. I am so totally jealous of you right now! A great big ATTA BOY goes out to you on your hard work and dedication. It sounds like a well deserved trophy and your right, you won't forget that day any time soon.

I can only say WOW! :blink:

Great story and a truly world class Coues Whitetail Buck! :lol: My sincere congratulations to you!

PH

Thanks again everyone!! I don't know how it got passed me but my younger brother was also there to share the experience!

Well I just got home from the hospital

with a broken jaw from when I saw this Buck Friday.

The way you members are Slamming Monsters

I have added a pillow to the front of my desk.

Geoff, what a great Buck ;)

Sounds like you made all the efforts

to deserve a stud like him.

I am very happy for you and tip my hat to you.

NOW lets see the video ;)

I've realized my sins and smashed the video camera in hopes to keep the eligibility of Geoff's buck alive for entry into P&Y. It's all about firm ethics that only the most elite among us carry and oh how I desire to be like the greats that have gone before us. They lead by example and it is my/our duty to follow like a lemur and not ask questions like I used to do for so many years.

HORSE*#%! Thank God I learned to think for myself....... But that was all in another topic......

The video is pretty good but being the lame conspicuous consumer that I am I bought a CANON video camera last year w/o even looking at the stupid thing. It doesn't have a port for a fire-wire and also doesn't have an S-Video port. I am one of the lamest of the lame...... The stupid thing will initialize the mini-dvd but when you try to finalize it the option to do it is greyed out and won't let me. Therefore, I can only view the disk on the camera and that is it! SUCKS!!!!! Anyone familiar with the CANON DC100 that could offer some advice? HELP!!!!!!!