Curtis Reed

Access to chronograph?

I would like to get a custom turret cut for my scope. I don’t want to trust the velocity on the ammo box.  Any suggestions on which range would have a chronograph available for rent?

I have a Caldwell you could borrow in Mesa. I'll also be at Usery almost every weekend starting in a couple weeks if our visits lined up.

I'm sure many others here would offer the same if you're on the other side of town. Others probably have a better chrono as well. 

I've got a magnetospeed you can borrow if you need it. They seem a little more consistent than a chronograph. I'm right on the QC/Gilbert border. Shoot me a PM if interested

• Like 1

I would suggest that along with or in place of a custom turret also using a ballistic app. The flexibility and tunability of say the Strelok Pro is incredible. The app lets you adjust for a change in ammo or set up different rifles. Also while hunting you can make up a dial up card to exactly match you current conditions. I usually make a dial up card the day before my hunt that way all you need to do when time is critical is range, reference and dial.  I just used the app to true up my dial up values, it turns out my Leupold Vx-3i LRP  8.5-25X50 scope has a value of .244 MOA per elevation click.  

• Like 2

Out to 500-600 or so yards, a custom turret is not bad.  Out past that, they are not that accurate unless you hunt at the same elevation/density altitude/temp.  So if you change from a high country late summer pronghorn hunt to a late season desert mule deer hunt, your drops will be off.  

6.5mm 140 Hyb @ 3035fps @ 600 yds, 800 yds & 1000yds:  

7000' AMSL & 85*F:  53.4", 113.9", 202.9" drop

2000' AMSL & 35*F:  57.8", 125.8", 229.6" drop

Better to get a good ballistic app, or even a good programable rangefinder that will take all that into consideration.  

I have a Labradar, you are more than welcome to come shoot with me anytime.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Out to 500-600 or so yards, a custom turret is not bad.  Out past that, they are not that accurate unless you hunt at the same elevation/density altitude/temp.  So if you change from a high country late summer pronghorn hunt to a late season desert mule deer hunt, your drops will be off.  

Better to get a good ballistic app, or even a good programable rangefinder that will take all that into consideration.  

Good advice thanks

On 5/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, lancetkenyon said:

What he said... except I don't recommend them past 500. But, that will get close enough on most animals.

• Like 1

Im gonna be headed up to jim jones shooting range saturday to test some loads, anybody else gonna be up that way that had a chronograph? I need to buy one, not sure which one yet.