Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Late rifle elk tips

Hey guys my buddy drew a late rifle bull tag in a high pressure area that is known to be incredibly hard, but he drew with 1 point so he said he will keep the tag. I am aware being near water will help a ton but one question I have mainly is what elevations should we be looking at. I see most elevations at like 6000-4500 through the unit and some small areas reach almost 7000. 

Also another thing I had issues with is that my vortext vultures never mounted study enough to glass efficiently. What kinda mount/tripod would work for a 15x56 bino set up? Thank you all very much!

22 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Is your buddy going to come on this site?

I'm not sure just trying to help the dude out. It's an issue when people ask for help on their first post usually

A lot may depend on snow.  I would look for canyons and draws where the bulls would be hiding.

Saying what unit may get you a few PMs of more specifics.

2 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

A lot may depend on snow.  I would look for canyons and draws where the bulls would be hiding.

Saying what unit may get you a few PMs of more specifics.

It is the 22n late hunt the 2nd I believe. I was looking at places in the north east corner for higher elevations. But the Mazitals have my attention too  just seem low in elevation like 4500. But there is nice looking spots there

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Hey guys my buddy drew a late rifle bull tag in a high pressure area that is known to be incredibly hard, but he drew with 1 point so he said he will keep the tag. I am aware being near water will help a ton but one question I have mainly is what elevations should we be looking at. I see most elevations at like 6000-4500 through the unit and some small areas reach almost 7000. 

Also another thing I had issues with is that my vortext vultures never mounted study enough to glass efficiently. What kinda mount/tripod would work for a 15x56 bino set up? Thank you all very much!

You will need a sturdy tripod and the outdoors man adapter and stud.

You want the tall adapter and th stud to fit your binos.

https://outdoorsmans.com/products/outdoorsmans-binocular-adapter?variant=5730637119520

https://outdoorsmans.com/search?q=‘bino stud

Not hard just not big, your young hunt under the rim off the roads you'll do great. Rd hunting like me and trphyhntr not so good. Keep in touch around that time I'll have some info 

• Like 1

Glass super thick scrub oak/juniper ridges and you will find Elk.  This is not a hunt to be picky!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Browns said:

Glass super thick scrub oak/juniper ridges and you will find Elk.  This is not a hunt to be picky!!!!!

Gotcha! You think it would be wise to even shoot a spike on opening morning? We would be happy with any bull honestly but if there is a decent chance at better we may hold out

Yes. Lol, there's alot of 3x and 4x rag horns. Hope for snow then some better bulls will push of the rim.. And double what biggybrowns said..

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, UggRedBilly said:

It is the 22n late hunt the 2nd I believe. I was looking at places in the north east corner for higher elevations. But the Mazitals have my attention too  just seem low in elevation like 4500. But there is nice looking spots there

Mazatzals are in 22s, so….don’t go there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Mazatzals are in 22s, so….don’t go there. 

No they are also in the north too! I got it mapped out. I believe you're thinking of the hellsgate wilderness. That is in the south but not the north

Yes sir you are correct, there is an arm , far north arm of the Matty's that is in 22n, Bill Marshell shot a stud years back on a ridge above Childs. Anyway choot a biggen, the back bone fire will have pushed some good bulls around up there..

• Like 1