Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

3 prong or spear fishing

Anyone on here do much of this freediving style? I did some 3 prong for the first time on a recent trip to Hawaii with some young hawaiin guys that were really good and man, so much fun. I'm sure a part of it was that I was in some of the clearest water with the highest density and diversity of fish of anywhere on earth, but it would be fun to get into some here in AZ. I learned to relieve the ear pressure and be able to dive down much deeper than I previously could, maybe got to around 25 feet. The regs allow spearing for carp, buff, and talapia state wide, and Mead, Powell, Pleasant and only the northern part of Lake Mohave for Stripers. It seems like alot of times the water in alot of the lakes isn't clear enough to be able to see very far, which would obviously make it very difficult. Anyone done much of this in AZ and have any tricks, time of year, locations etc? I'm in Kingman so Mohave is the closest to me. 

• Like 2

I’ve been wanting to get into it dead serious. But I heard pleasant isn’t that clear in the summer, can anyone confirm? I haven’t been. 

I tell you what, 5 hours from Phoenix in Sonora we could shoot a lot of fish.

6 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Pleasant is crystal clear right now and almost always 

I heard it’s clear, but I heard in the summer it’s got enough algae or biological whatever it is that makes it a little murky for spearfishing. But idk. If it’s clear af rn I’m getting all the shoot and going and shooting stuff.

to the OP I was told a 90-110cm speargun is the the way to go. 

Crazy timing. I literally just ordered a speargun, wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, etc. I'm headed to Hawaii mid-September for 7 weeks hoping to thoroughly dip my toes into the sport and will probably book a lesson or two to shorten the learning curve. I'm moving your direction (Vegas) in Nov/Dec so if you ever want a partner to go explore some waters let me know.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, Sneaker said:

Anyone on here do much of this freediving style? I did some 3 prong for the first time on a recent trip to Hawaii with some young hawaiin guys that were really good and man, so much fun. I'm sure a part of it was that I was in some of the clearest water with the highest density and diversity of fish of anywhere on earth, but it would be fun to get into some here in AZ. I learned to relieve the ear pressure and be able to dive down much deeper than I previously could, maybe got to around 25 feet. The regs allow spearing shareit for carp, buff, and talapia state wide, and Mead, Powell, Pleasant and only the northern part of Lake Mohave for Stripers. It seems like alot of times the water in alot of the lakes isn't clear enough to be able to see very far, ac market which would obviously make it very difficult. Anyone done much of this in AZ and have any tricks, time of year, locations etc? I'm in Kingman so Mohave is the closest to me. 

When I lived there, I had the same experience; it was a great place with nice high density and pure water streams. Hawaii is one of my favorite places.

On 8/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, trphyhntr said:

I tell you what, 5 hours from Phoenix in Sonora we could shoot a lot of fish.

No personal experience, but I worked with a guy that used to spearfish off the coast south of Rocky Point and said it was a blast. 

7 minutes ago, bigorange said:

No personal experience, but I worked with a guy that used to spearfish off the coast south of Rocky Point and said it was a blast. 

I’ve done it once, it’s pretty bad butt. 

I remember years ago on the ZONE, a guy posted a picture of him with a 10 + lb bass at sag that he speared. Boy did chit hit the fan over that. I think it was illegal to spear game fish, I don't remember.  The Derby guys went nuts over that one. Classic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have done some 3 prong in Hawaii and it was such a blast, all in shallow coves 10-15 feet. No experience with the spear gun stuff for me. Just the stories my buddy told me about the sharks stealing his fish on his line made me think twice. While up north this last summer in the white mountains I was able to get within 2-5 feet from some nice trout while out swimming with the kids. I think the 3 prong would work great. But man the water was cold!