ar13fox

Unit 9 Late Season Help for Son

Before I ask the question.....YES.....I KNOW....late season rifle hunt in unit 9 is a difficult hunt for many reasons.  HAHA not to be rude, I just don't want to waste your all's time with that part of it.  

So this year, I was fortunate enough to draw an early season archery Elk tag for unit 8.  I have spent most of the year scouting for that hunt which will end on September 23rd.  From that point on I will be putting all my efforts into preparing for my 12 year old son's rifle hunt in unit 9.  The hunt is from November 26th-December 3rd.  I understand the unit has challenging weather, limited area to glass and other difficulties.

Does anyone have information that could help me get started in there right direction?  This is his first Elk hunt and he is excited beyond belief!!!  I'm hoping it will be a successful one.  I truly value your all's help and advice.  Last year was his first deer hunt down in 36c and it was because of the info the members on this page provided that helped us in getting him the little buck below and was a memory neither of us will ever forget!!  

Thank you all in advance. 

Avian's first Deer 2.jpeg

Aivan's First Deer.jpeg

• Like 1

Good luck! Hate to be a dick but i see you’ve made exactly 3 posts in the last few years and  every one of them is asking for and receiving unit specific help. 

• Like 1

I have yes.  New to this state and trying learn from those with more experience and unfortunately all the knowledge I have is hard to share as its elsewhere.  But if anyone ever needs advice for Montana, Oregon, Georgia or South Carolina I’d love to help.  

38 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Good luck! Hate to be a dick but i see you’ve made exactly 3 posts in the last few years and  every one of them is asking for and receiving unit specific help. 

😂 

By the way any info on crane would be nice.

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

You can be a dick, It's your birthday. 😆

Friend’s kid had this hunt a couple years ago. Best advice he received was to find water with fresh sign and focus on it. He saw a bunch of cows and a couple spikes in various areas scouting but no fresh sign on tanks and no elk once the hunt started…finally found one tank that had lots of fresh sign. First elk to come in to that tank was a nice 6x6 that went home in the truck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounding like a broken record here but

Anyone new to state wanting info on species or where to hunt. Just go to AZ GF website. Under hunting

All the info a newbie needs for each unit  whatever species and where to h u nt.

As easy as that !

I have the same hunt. Be sure to check your dates....the hunt ends on Dec. 2nd, not the 3rd.

11 hours ago, 206 said:

Even though it’s wet up north the tanks will still be getting used.

Is wet now but in december won’t be much water if doesn’t rain or snow

We have made 5 weekend scouting trips to the unit so far.  Its definitely a challenge to glass the terrain.  We have seen a lot of cows but most of the tanks we have found seem to have more hunter traffic than Elk.  

I've never hunted it but I have been told the best way to do it is to sit water. You have to get there early as heck to get your spot break the ice and then shoot a bowl as he comes in to drink

• Like 1

7 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

break the ice and then shoot a bowl

are you talking hunting or smoking meth?

21 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

are you talking hunting or smoking meth?

I must have a stutter or something, because talk to text always picks up "bowl" instead of "bull"!