Sign in to follow this  
Coues 'n' Sheep

Opening moring Speed Goat

Well, it all started back in June when my Bro-in Law, Larry, and his wife, Linda, started scouting for her antelope hunt in central AZ. After obtaining the good info and talking to the ranchers about private land access, they were able to start to look. On their first scouting adventure they found the buck she would end up shooting on opening morning at 6:15 am. Linda already has a buck hanging on her wall that is just under 88" net B&C that she took on Fain Ranch back in the late 90's, and when she saw this first goat on the first scouting trip she said, " I want him! He has character!" Larry told her he had lots of scouting to do and that he might find better. After several scouting trips made by Larry with me or his brother, Dallas, in tow.... the unit had been looked at very hard and Larry became more comfortable with the mature "character" buck that Linda wanted. After talking to some of the other hunters in the unit Larry found out that they, too, thought the buck, called "Captain Hook" was one of the best, if not the best buck in the unit and so the decision was made by him to watch this buck for the entire day before the hunt and let Linda take a crack at him on opening morning.

Opening morning dawned with us rolling across the flats to where we planned to park. My wife, Tina, and I came on the hunt to help out and of course to "Get Bloody" with the rest of the family. Larry's Brother, Dallas was also there ready to help and the hunt was on!! We had no had our optics up for no more than a minute when Larry says, "I got him!". It was agreed that Larry and I would stalk with Linda, while Tina and Dallas kept a close eye on the three bucks and one doe that were feeding together out on the flat. We dropped down over a ridgeline and headed their way... in a short time we had Linda set up at 225 yds on the still feeding goats.... The kill shot was a deafening roar... a " Whack'... and a folded up speed goat!! The buck is a Dandy!! 16 7/8 inches of length on both horns and over 6" of mass on the bases & 4 1/2" above the paddles, with 5 5/8 on the prongs! Congrats, Sis!!!! And Congrats to Larry for putting his wife on the second awesome Antelope of a liftime!!! And another "family hunt" success for all of us!!!

Note: No electronic devices were used in the taking of this animal.

BTW..... The Berger 168 VLD's in my 300 Wby mag were used on this hunt..... A thin skinned animal at close range.... was exactly the same, consistant results as we saw last year on elk at medium range. ;)

post-996-1221050176.jpg

post-996-1221050524.jpg

post-996-1221050886.jpg

Very nice! So what do all of those scores add up to for gross score?

He looks like he is nice and clean with 0 broken points! Nice!

Any good pictures of entrance/exit?

We put a quick tape on him with the unit WM and came up with about 82 1/2'" - 83" gross.... but that is not exact. ;)

Very nice! So what do all of those scores add up to for gross score?

He looks like he is nice and clean with 0 broken points! Nice!

Any good pictures of entrance/exit?

No exit.... about 30% bullet retention laying under the skin on the far side.... you could not even tell the buck was hit at first glance..... the entrance was the the size of the bullet for the first 2"- 3" of penetration and then Ka-Boom... a 3"-4" wound channel and liquid organs. ;) Instant Dead Goat! ;)

Way to go Linda, Gino, and all those that participated on a great Antelope! Although I am a little astonished that you would actually get such good results from a target bullet... aren't those VLD's made for punching paper? ;)

Congratulations!

Way to go Linda, Gino, and all those that participated on a great Antelope! Although I am a little astonished that you would actually get such good results from a target bullet... aren't those VLD's made for punching paper? ;)

Congratulations!

No joke... I love those Bergers... Great job for everybody involved...

J

Congratulations to Linda and the gang on her success harvesting a real good goat. Thanks for sharing.

:)

TJ

Beautiful buck for sure! Congrats to all involved and thanks for the pics and story.

Phil