OK, I'll admitt, I didn't read the regs before I applied. It has been 20 years since I hunted 34B and now that I have tried to scout out the area a little I have discovered that there is a huge write up in the regs about all the closures on the Whetstones.

Last time I was there we hunted up in French Joe canyon, but it appears to me that with with the northern portion of that range closed off that will throw more hunters into that area than usual.

I have never been on the west side of that range, anybody have any feedback on that side of the mountain? Are there places to set up camp, call home base etc.?

I will be headed down there to check it out myself, just looking for a little direction before I tank up with gas and head that way. White 79 Ford short bed 4 X 4 if you see me out there be sure to stop in and say hi.........

Jeff

You are correct about the East side getting hammered, the easiest access to the West side is through Empire Ranch off of 83. There are a few ways to get in off of I-10 but it's a long haul to the mountains from there.

We have hunted that unit most our life. I was raised right there. A friend of ours owns the post ranch. We have not hunted the unit for about four years now because of the trouble gainin passage in some of the unit. Even from my friends ranch we had to hike up and over the top of the wetstones and you should have seen the small city in the french joe area. It looked like central hunters camp with trailers and tents spread from here to heck. I would have to say that your best bet is from the other side of the range. We used to hunt haystack the most but those owners are not joking around when they say they do not want hunters on the property. If you ask me there is a little more than ranching going on back in those hills that far. I have witnessed a few sites that realy make me wonder about things.

you can also get into the SW corner of the Wetstones off from highway 82. that road actually heads north along pretty much the whole west side of the mtns.

also, (at least the last time I was there) you can walk in to the Haystack area from the JSix ranch area (exit 297 on I-10).

also, you can camp at Kartchners and hike back in.

i got an uncle that lives in st david that claims to know every one and their dog living within 100 square miles and has a son that knows the ariea like the back of his hand i could always call him for you :lol: :lol:

Case ya'll didnt know, Redneck is Willie's pop.....

Willie, seen the sticker on the back of my truck lately "assination from a distance"

look for whitetail in areas you would never expect to see whitetails... This unit has pruduced some real whoppers from some unconventional areas...

look for whitetail in areas you would never expect to see whitetails... This unit has pruduced some real whoppers from some unconventional areas...

post-911-1221707306.jpg

I have a mule deer hunt in 34B in November. I'll keep an eye on the whitetails if you wouldn't mind looking out for the big muleys in the unit!

KP