kane44

Unit 10 early archery *story added*

Alright so I got lucky and drew unit 10 early archery with 7 points and have never hunted this unit ever for anything!  I had no idea where to start. After purchasing a unit map I realized just how large this unit is, at the same time I realized half of the unit is privately owned “ 700,000 acres just in  the Boquilla’s, which after the fees you can gain access to. After many hours staring at maps and going back and forth we opted to start out in  the Big Bo not knowing what to expect. First day Wednesday-went to seligman access point and drove about 8  to 10 miles back picked a campsite.Thursday Scouting- Not a single elk to be seen , no cows, no bulls, no nothing not even other hunters! Thursday night- packed our shoot and decided to move to new area lol! Midnight Thursday- set up camp and three out some cow calls for the heck of it , and we get an instant response! We call a bull literally into camp! Which was exciting to say the least. Friday opening day- Shafer access point- get out to sign in and threw out another cow call and a bull screams out 100 yds from the gate! We decide to go after him. He was a nice 6x6 we decide was a shooter! He screamed at every cow call but never committed just eventually headed away.  As we walked back to the truck we called once more and to our surprise another bull 300 yds away answered. After 45 min of chasing this bull he also wouldn’t fully commit. So we went to him and got within 80 yds and then cow called , that got his attention and  He came right in 60 yds and stood there! 6x6 , I drew back and wanted this bull, when I did my more experienced hunting buddy said he’s not the one, don’t shoot! So I filmed him instead with my phone! So to speed this up 6 more days go by with bad positions, other hunters messing things up , and I start to regret passing on day 1.  Day 7- we find 10 to 15 bulls bugling during the middle of the day back and forth but not moving   So we decide to stay out and see how things okay out . Just before sunset 2 bulls start just bugling non stop at each other , one is on our side of the ridge and the other is on the east side of another ridge, when all of a sudden the one in the east side comes running across without stopping with 8 cows ahead of him and he is a Beast, huge 6x7  runs straight at the other bull and they’re in a full  on fight! At that moment I ran as fast as I could to close the distance before sun went down as I was 5 minutes to late. Next morning- we get to same spot early before sunrise and wait like most hunters would do right? Well as there was just enough light to see across the flats , we see a bunch of cows and all of a sudden he steps out and it’s the same big 6x7 from night before And he’s cows are leading him right to us. As we wait we see a white Dodge Ram road hunting and stop right in between us and the elk . Completely screwed our hunt. We watch as they try to make a move on them and end up pushing them away. 2 hours later after chasing other bulls at that point, we’re back at our truck and decide we’re gonna make a move on those bulls where I think they’re bedded. I cow call and sure enough he’s 100 yds away where they had pushed them. We get within 50 yds in thick juniper and I here a guys voice trying to get us off these bulls!  Well I keep calling anyway and the satellite bull walks 25 yds behind some bushes and can’t get a shot off . We end up pushing all the elk from this heard across the canyon where I watch them bed . The other 2 hunters never saw this happen and they think the the bulls are still on this side haha. Evening hunt now- we get set up 1 pm same spot - we see these assholes  4 hours later  park 5 ft from out truck , same white Dodge Ram with firefighter stickers in the back and walk up the same area where they chased them in the morning.  All of a sudden 2 bulls start going at it again and they’re heading for a fight right now!  We rush to get in position and see the bull with all the cows and it’s him !!! The heard bull from earlier . He’s 80 yds and closing fast , we opt to stay quite and let them go at it. 40 yds his cows stop and I start to draw back and my release malfunctions and my arrow flys 10 ft , wtf, and spoons the cows. My heart pounding because the bull is seconds from stepping out where they were . All of a sudden there he is oblivious to me just screaming at this other bull and I draw back aim at his lower shoulder area and release! So much adrenaline running through me I didn’t know if , or where I hit.. we look for blood and we have specks only and I’m dying !! Suns going down and we have hardly any blood. We track for 40 yds when we find him standing against a tree.  I went to put another arrow in him but I’m shaking so bad I can’t draw my bow back! Adrenaline is dumping and I have the shakes LOL. The shot ended up double lung and all the blood was inside the cavity. Had a great time with friends and family , frustrating at times but that’s what makes the memories! 

6FA68DCE-8C7D-41A7-8B01-FCF147F8B323.jpeg

CE3D8283-FCFA-4DBD-BA28-5C961183FF02.jpeg

DEE1EDC0-1253-4B0D-A78A-3B138A268C25.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Wow! 2