Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Another 3C Bull....

I was very fortunate to get this bull, after putting in for a long time I drew an elk tag. The hunt was great. I was able to share it with most of my long time friends and a new friend that I met on CWT.com

After seeing and passing on multiple bulls and getting busted by many other bulls (some bigger, some smaller, see AZRAYN’s post….) it all came together. After hunting for 6 days with friends of 25+ years, they had to leave and get back to the world, suddenly I found myself alone (in the previous year I had taken an elk in Colorado by myself, and I knew I would be in for a chore), but a CWT member I had recently met (KRP) said he would be able to hunt Wed night and Thurs if needed, I gave him a call…game on!

KRP arrived before 2:00 pm on Wed, after getting ready, we set out in an area that we were going to give 30 minutes or so. Immediately we got a response from our bugle and we set out. Not much happened after that, wind changed…. same story that I had experienced for the past week….., we and decided to go to another area….. then we spotted some cows, as I went to cut them off KRP motioned that a bull was coming right at me. I got into position and all of a sudden another bull was coming out of the timber but below me. The bull coming towards me turned around and began posturing for the bull below and began to rake a tree, I stalked up and got within 20 yds. I had a dilemma on my hands, I was trying to figure out which bull to go after….but with a bull at 20 yds, I drew back, the bull spotted me, barked and took off and began bugling. I motioned to KRP to call and the bull below came in on a string, I ranged a tree at 40 yds and when the bull stepped out, I let my arrow fly but it missed low, I knocked another arrow (and it came off the string, once or twice as I began to shake) I finally got another arrow knocked and ranged the bull at 60 yds, the arrow left my bow and sound great, but I could not see the bull as it ran off, KRP said the shot sounded good and watched the bull go in circles, not wanting to celebrate to soon we waited, then we began walking up and found him piled up no more than 46 yds from where he stood. The WacEm from my PSE X-Force below through. The rest is history… after 6 hours or so, I was asleep in my bag.

At least once every hunter should experience an archery bull hunt. I cannot thank KRP enough for his help and all my other friends for making this a memory of a lifetime. I had also met some other great hunters from AZ and other states….

Redman

post-295-1221882066_thumb.jpg

post-295-1221882106_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a great bull, way to stick with it, someday again I hope to draw another tag.. Nice job

AWESOME BULL!! Redman is the kind of hunter that AZGF should set aside special tags for!!! Willing to work his a$$ off for a great experience!! That's the kind of elk that will look great on any wall...if his wife gives him permission...my hat off to anyone that scores a DIY Pope and Young animal!!

From what I heard, everyone needs to make friends with KRP!!

I want to thank Redman for letting me share his hunt with him. He's a dedicated hunter that made a great pressure shot, and that can't be overstated, someone I hope to hunt with again.

I'll call you soon, just got back. Thanks again.

Kent

Great bull! Thanks for sharing. Do the bulls you were seeing all have short thirds?

I do not really recall too many with short thirds, it turns out this bull probably has the shortest of any I saw, to be honest, I only looked at his fourths and fifths and realized it was a bull that I would like to take...

I did see many bulls with one side being great and the other side being much smaller (not broken). I also seen many palmated bulls.

Redman