Sign in to follow this  
BritSaz

Youth bow question

My 12 yr old son wants to get into archery, and I want to get him a bow for Christmas. He is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots a rifle right handed, but I don't know if a bow would be the same. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I was thinking about just taking him to get fit for one and he can decide what more comfortable, or should we just get him one and he can train himself either way? 

Thanks

Brittani

Both my kids are right handed and left eye dominant.  They both shoot left handed, they are kids and adjust pretty quickly to it.

Good Luck

• Like 1

I will have a youth Diamond infinite edge LH bow available shortly. My son is upgrading at Xmas to a Mathew Vertix.  The Diamond is highly adjustable as they grow. Plus strong enough to harvest an elk (Sept’18)

CE773BED-8DF7-4C38-804C-47374C2C41CF.thumb.jpeg.887fd2d49ef70fb139c4d0a4d61038a8.jpeg

I would be willing to let your son try LH bow to see if it works. I would suggest a lesson w an archery instructor so they can help evaluate.

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2

I used to shoot left handed because I was left handed in everything else. But I am right eye dominate and switched to right handed. I have been better since. But maybe it depends on the person too

• Like 1

Sounds like this is more common that I thought. 

If he’s not going to wear a patch over his dominate (right) eye or shoot with it closed, he will need to shoot a left handed bow to ensure consistent accuracy.

Some target archers have had success with wearing a patch over their dominate eye while shooting opposite handed, but honestly, if he’s left eye dominate, have him begin with a left handed bow and he should reach accuracy much easier, IMO.  

• Like 2

I am right handed and left eye dominant, shoot a rifle left handed and a bow right handed just fine...I know, sounds like I'm all screwed up, I would take him to an archery shop and see what feels right to him

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies. I will take him to a shop and see what works best for him. Happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, BritSaz said:

My 12 yr old son wants to get into archery, and I want to get him a bow for Christmas. He is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots a rifle right handed, but I don't know if a bow would be the same. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I was thinking about just taking him to get fit for one and he can decide what more comfortable, or should we just get him one and he can train himself either way? 

Thanks

Brittani

I am right handed, left eye dominant. Shoot my rifle right handed but shoot the bow with the left. I feel like it works out good for me, but I agree with what lots of people have said. Have him try it first!

• Like 1